Encarnacion powers Blue Jays over O'sJul 29, 2011 - 5:27 AM
J.P. Arencibia posted a two-run double, while Eric Thames also homered and drove in two for the Blue Jays, who have won three of four.
Carlos Villanueva (6-2) allowed six hits and four runs over just five innings but picked up his first win in five starts.
It also marked the first game in a Blue Jays uniform for outfielder Colby Rasmus, who was acquired from St. Louis on Wednesday. He went 0-for-5 with a pair of strikeouts.
"I think it's clearly an adjustment period for him," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said. "We've just got to give him an opportunity to settle in."
J.J. Hardy added three hits, scored three times and connected on a pair of solo homers for the Orioles, losers in five of their last seven. Adam Jones had two hits and knocked in two runs in the setback.
Brad Bergesen (2-7) was tagged in defeat for six hits and six runs -- four earned -- with three walks in three full frames.
Toronto pulled ahead for good with a four-run third inning. Encarnacion and Thames hit back-to-back two-out solo homers, then Aaron Hill walked and Travis Snider singled ahead of Arencibia's two-run hit for a 6-2 edge.
The O's responded with in the fifth on Jones' two-run single, but Toronto tacked on two more in the home half. With runners on the corners and two down, a Mark Reynolds error plated one run, and after Arencibia drew a walk, Yunel Escobar's RBI single made it 8-4.
Hardy's two-out solo homer to left against Jon Rauch cut the O's deficit to three, but Nick Markakis grounded out to end the game.
Baltimore jumped out to a 2-0 lead when Hardy and Vladimir Guerrero notched solo homers, but Toronto picked up two runs on Encarnacion's bases-loaded walk and a sacrifice fly from Thames in the bottom of the first.
"We started on top, but couldn't maintain it," Jones said. "Sometimes the bounces go your way, sometimes it doesn't. Tonight it didn't go our way."
Toronto has won six of the nine games this year against Baltimore...Snider and Escobar posted two hits for the Jays, as did Guerrero and Jones for the O's...Hardy finished the series 5-for-14 with four home runs, five runs scored and six RBI.
- BALTIMORE: 5
Jul 28 9:56 PM
- Yunel Escobar singled to left scored Travis Snider. On the play, J.P. Arencibia advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Colby Rasmus due up.
Orioles 4, Blue Jays 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 28 9:03 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion scores on Mark Reynolds's fielding error. Travis Snider advances to second on the throw.. Runner on second with two outs and J.P. Arencibia at the plate.
Orioles 4, Blue Jays 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 28 9:00 PM
- Adam Jones singled to center scored Robert Andino and J.J. Hardy. Adam Jones advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second with one out and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Orioles 4, Blue Jays 6 Top 5, 1 OutJul 28 8:41 PM
- J.P. Arencibia doubled to left scored Aaron Hill and Travis Snider. Runner on second with two outs and Yunel Escobar due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 28 8:11 PM
- Eric Thames two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Aaron Hill due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 28 8:03 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion two-out, solo Home Run (8) to left center. Eric Thames due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 28 8:02 PM
- Eric Thames sacrifice fly out to right scored Jose Bautista. Runners on first and second with two outs and Aaron Hill due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 28 7:31 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion walked. Yunel Escobar scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Eric Thames due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 28 7:28 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero two-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Derrek Lee due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 28 7:14 PM
- J.J. Hardy lead-off Home Run (17) to left. Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 28 7:08 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 28 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22