Orioles hold on in New YorkJul 30, 2011 - 4:40 AM
Jeremy Guthrie (5-14) got a rare win against the Yankees. The right-hander came into the game 3-9 with a 5.66 ERA vs. New York, but picked up his first career victory at the new Yankee Stadium (1-3) thanks to limiting his opponents to four hits and a run while fanning five over seven innings.
The teams waited out a one-hour, 49-minute rain delay at the start, but it was the last-place Orioles who capitalized on pitching mistakes. Baltimore beat the Yankees for the first time in seven tries this season.
A.J. Burnett (8-9) had a season-high 10 strikeouts over eight innings, but remained winless (0-3) over his last five starts. He gave up five hits and four runs.
Mark Teixeira homered and Jorge Posada had a pair of hits for the Yankees, who lost for just the sixth time in their last 23 home games.
The Yankees threatened to tie the game in the ninth inning, but Kevin Gregg managed to escape trouble after allowing one run to earn his 17th save of the year. Robinson Cano doubled past a diving Reynolds at third to start the bottom of the ninth. Gregg then served up an RBI double to left from Nick Swisher, but Eric Chavez flied out. Posada walked and Russell Martin then ran the count to 3-0, but grounded into a force play, placing runners at the corners.
Brett Gardner turned to walk to first base after taking a 3-1 pitch seemingly outside, but home plate umpire Mike DiMuro signaled strike. Gardner then busted his bat in the dirt in frustration after swinging through the next pitch to end the game.
"This game at times can be frustrating," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "It just shows you the passion he has. I have no problem with it at all."
Lee walked with one out in the second, leading to Reynolds' 22nd homer of the year, a shot to right-center field on a first offering from Burnett.
The Yankees wasted an opportunity with two men on base in the third, and the O's expanded their lead to 3-0 in the fourth. Vladimir Guerrero laced a ground-rule double with one out and Lee then doubled to center past the outstretched glove of Curtis Granderson.
"Derrek's in a good spot right now swinging the bat," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said.
Guthrie walked two batters in the fourth, but retired Chavez on a ground ball to end the threat.
Lee homered to right with two outs in the sixth, but Teixeira went deep for the 29th time in the bottom of the frame.
Orioles reliever Koji Uehara left Derek Jeter stranded at second in the eighth when he got Teixeira to fly out to cap the inning.
The teams will play a day/night doubleheader Saturday...The Yankees activated reliever Rafael Soriano from the 60-day disabled list. He had been on the DL since mid-May due to right elbow inflammation...The Yankees were 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position...The first five of the Orioles' seven hits went for extra bases...Guthrie won on the road for the first time since his Opening Day victory on April 1 at Tampa Bay, snapping an eight-game losing streak away from Camden Yards.
- BALTIMORE: 4
NEW YORK: 2
Jul 29 11:53 PM
- Nick Swisher double to left scored Robinson Cano with none out. Runner on second with none out and Eric Chavez due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 2 Bot 9, 0 OutsJul 29 11:42 PM
- Mark Teixeira two-out, solo Home Run (29) to right. Robinson Cano due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 29 10:36 PM
- Derrek Lee two-out, solo Home Run (12) to right. Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 29 10:26 PM
- Derrek Lee double to center scored Vladimir Guerrero with one out. Runner on second with one out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 0 Top 4, 1 OutJul 29 9:44 PM
- Mark Reynolds one-out, two-run Home Run (22) to right center scored Derrek Lee. Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 29 9:12 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jul 29 8:55 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21