Yankees club OriolesJul 30, 2011 - 11:55 PM
New York starter Bartolo Colon (8-6) labored through five innings, but allowed just two runs on five hits with two walks and six strikeouts.
Mark Reynolds hit a solo home run for Baltimore, which finished 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
Recalled from Triple-A Norfolk before the game, Chris Tillman (2-4) was tagged for seven runs -- five earned -- on eight hits in 4 1/3 innings.
Colon struck out Reynolds swinging to escape a bases-loaded jam in the first inning, then fanned Derrek Lee looking to end the third with two runners in scoring position.
He threw 105 pitches in his five innings of work, 66 of them for strikes.
"He did throw a lot of pitches, and that's not what we're used to seeing," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said of Colon. "So he was maybe a tick off today but he managed to escape trouble."
The Yankees opened the scoring in the bottom of the third inning. Chris Dickerson reached on a fielder's choice and took third on a ground-rule double by Francisco Cervelli. Gardner put New York up 2-0 by slapping a grounder off the glove of Baltimore third baseman Reynolds.
Baltimore tied the game in the top of the fourth. Back-to-back singles by Reynolds and Felix Pie put men on the corners, and Craig Tatum drove in the Orioles' first run with a fielder's choice. After a Blake Davis double, Tatum crossed the plate when J.J. Hardy grounded out to second base.
New York quickly regained the lead in its half of the fourth. Swisher followed a leadoff walk to Robinson Cano with his 13th home run of the season, a blast to right-center. Later in the frame, a grounder up the middle by Cervelli scored Eric Chavez to make it 5-2.
"Later in the game I fell behind a few hitters," said Tillman. "Swisher got me good."
The Yankees added three more runs in the fifth when Mark Teixeira reached on a throwing error and scored on Chavez's one-out single off Baltimore reliever Troy Patton. Swisher, who doubled in front of Chavez, then hustled home on a Jorge Posada groundout before Dickerson made it 8-2 with an RBI single.
Reynolds homered to left field off Cory Wade to complete the scoring in the eighth.
The Yankees and Orioles are playing a doubleheader for the first time since they split one September 26, 2003...Baltimore placed pitcher Brad Bergesen on the paternity leave list to make room for Tillman on the roster. Tillman was optioned back to Norfolk after the game...The Yankees are now an MLB-best 30-7 in day games this season.
- BALTIMORE: 3
NEW YORK: 8
Jul 30 4:11 PM
- Felix Pie flied out to right. None on with two outs and Craig Tatum due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 8 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 30 3:46 PM
- Chris Dickerson singled to left center scored Eric Chavez. Runner on first with two outs and Francisco Cervelli due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 30 3:08 PM
- Jorge Posada grounded out third to first scored Nick Swisher. On the play, Eric Chavez advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Dickerson due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 30 3:06 PM
- Eric Chavez singled to right scored Mark Teixeira. On the play, Nick Swisher advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jorge Posada due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 6 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 30 3:03 PM
- Francisco Cervelli singled to center scored Eric Chavez. On the play, Chris Dickerson advances to third, Cervelli advances to second on the throw to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Brett Gardner due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 5 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 30 2:39 PM
- Nick Swisher none-out, two-run Home Run (13) to right scored Robinson Cano. Eric Chavez due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 30 2:28 PM
- J.J. Hardy grounded out second to first scored Craig Tatum. On the play, Blake Davis advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 30 2:14 PM
- Craig Tatum grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Mark Reynolds. Felix Pie out at second. Runner on first with one out and Blake Davis due up.
Orioles 1, Yankees 2 Top 4, 1 OutJul 30 2:10 PM
- Brett Gardner singled to left scored Chris Dickerson and Francisco Cervelli. Runner on first with one out and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 30 1:58 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 1:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21