Hill, Lawrie help Blue Jays edge OriolesAug 6, 2011 - 6:14 AM
Lawrie, Toronto's highly-touted third base prospect, went 2-for-4 in his big league debut, helping the Blue Jays halt a two-game skid.
Brad Mills (1-1), making just his second start of the season, allowed three runs on four hits over 5 1/3 frames to earn the win.
Tommy Hunter (1-2), in his first start with the Orioles since being acquired from Texas, lasted just four innings, surrendering four runs on eight hits to suffer the loss.
"I didn't get ahead, I didn't finish when I got ahead," Hunter said. "When I got behind, I gave up hits. There's really no excuses for it."
Adam Jones belted a two-run homer for the Orioles, losers of three in a row.
Jon Rauch allowed a Nick Markakis RBI double in the ninth, but settled to record his 11th save of the season.
Jones spotted Hunter an early lead with a two-run blast in the first, but the Blue Jays responded a half-inning later.
Singles by Edwin Encarnacion and Hill placed runners on first and second with two down and Lawrie emphatically marked his debut with a line drive up the middle to plate Encarnacion. Yunel Escobar followed with a game-tying double into left-center.
Jose Bautista began the third with a single and, following an Adam Lind pop out, Encarnacion was hit by a pitch. Colby Rasmus followed with a single to score Bautista and leave runners at the corners and Hill's subsequent fielder's choice groundout made it a 4-2 game.
Lawrie, who was charged with an error earlier in the game, proved green in the sixth. Vladimir Guerrero and Mark Reynolds drew consecutive one-out walks and advanced on a passed ball. Matt Wieters then ripped a one-hopper to third, which bounced out of the glove of Lawrie, allowing Guerrero to score.
The Blue Jays threatened to break things open in the eighth, loading the bases with nobody out. Hill pushed one across with a sac fly to center. J.P. Arencibia then ripped a grounder towards short but Robert Andino deftly snared the ball and nailed Encarnacion at home. Lawrie followed with a single through the left side, but Nolan Reimold cut down Rasmus at the plate to keep the Orioles within striking distance.
The deft defense nearly paid dividends as Andino reached with a two-out single in the ninth and crossed the plate on Markakis' double to right, but Jones popped out to second to end the game.
The Orioles were 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position...Lawrie was recalled from Triple-A Las Vegas on Thursday...Blue Jays manager John Farrell was ejected in the seventh inning by home plate umpire Brian Knight...Jones' home run was his 19th of the season, tying a career high.
- TORONTO: 5
Aug 5 10:07 PM
- Aaron Hill sacrifice fly to center scored Adam Lind with one out. On the play, Colby Rasmus advances to second and Edwin Encarnacion advances to third. Runners on second and third and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Blue Jays 5, Orioles 3 Top 8, 1 OutAug 5 9:41 PM
- Matt Wieters reached on an infield single to short scored Vladimir Guerrero with one out. Runners on first and second and Nolan Reimold due up.
Blue Jays 4, Orioles 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 5 8:59 PM
- Aaron Hill grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Edwin Encarnacion with two out. Colby Rasmus out at second. Runner on first and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Blue Jays 4, Orioles 2 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 5 7:57 PM
- Yunel Escobar double to center scored Aaron Hill with two out. On the play, Brett Lawrie advances to third. Runners on second and third and Eric Thames due up.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 2 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 5 7:39 PM
- Adam Jones one-out, two-run Home Run (19) to left scored Nick Markakis. Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Blue Jays 0, Orioles 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 5 7:23 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 5 7:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22