Andino, O's down A'sAug 16, 2011 - 6:56 AM
Josh Bell added a two-run hit in the deciding frame and Mark Reynolds homered for the Orioles, who have won two in a row following a three-game slide.
Tommy Hunter (2-2) allowed 10 hits and two runs over 6 2/3 innings for the win.
"I like throwing here. There's a lot of foul ground. It's a big factor," Hunter said. "It's a big ballpark at night, too. It just works well with me."
Cliff Pennington and David DeJesus drove in a run apiece for the Athletics, who have dropped four straight.
Gio Gonzalez (9-11) was tagged in the loss for four hits and four runs with three walks in six-plus frames.
Down by a run with nine outs to go, Baltimore rallied off Gonzalez. Adam Jones and Vladimir Guerrero hit consecutive singles to start the frame, then Matt Wieters walked to load the bases.
Fautino De Los Santos came on to fan Reynolds, but Andino doubled off the wall in center to plate the tying and lead runs. Bell followed by lacing a hit to center which scored two more and the O's suddenly led 5-2.
"He's been our best guy and our best right-hander, and he's pitched well to this point," A's interim manager Bob Melvin said of De Los Santos. "Just threw one down the middle; the guy was first-pitch hacking. You want to throw strikes there, you're in a position where you have to. Andino put a good swing on it, and that was the key to the game."
Hunter's outing was over after he allowed a two-out walk to Coco Crisp in the home seventh, but Mike Gonzalez induced an inning-ending fly out from Hideki Matsui.
Gonzalez then set the A's down in order in the eighth, and Kevin Gregg turned in a scoreless ninth.
Wieters hit his 11th homer of the season, a two-out solo shot to right, in the second to give the visitors an early edge.
Oakland countered in the second. Josh Willingham's leadoff single turned into a run when DeJesus followed with a double, and two batters later a Pennington single brought in DeJesus.
Despite the victory, Baltimore has lost 14 of its last 18 road games...O's right fielder Nick Markakis finished 1-for-4, and has collected at least one hit in 179 consecutive series, the longest current streak in the majors...During the contest, the A's announced they have agreed to terms with pitcher and eighth-round pick Colin O'Connell and 11th-round hurler Christopher Lamb...The Orioles announced that they agreed to a five-year deal with first-round draft pick pitcher Dylan Bundy.
- BALTIMORE: 6
Aug 16 1:02 AM
- Mark Reynolds one-out, solo Home Run (27) to left center. Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 6, Athletics 2 Top 9, 1 OutAug 16 12:45 AM
- Josh Bell singled to center scored Matt Wieters and Robert Andino. Runner on first with one out and Nolan Reimold due up.
Orioles 5, Athletics 2 Top 7, 1 OutAug 16 12:11 AM
- Robert Andino doubled to center scored Adam Jones and Vladimir Guerrero. On the play, Matt Wieters advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Josh Bell due up.
Orioles 3, Athletics 2 Top 7, 1 OutAug 16 12:07 AM
- Cliff Pennington singled to left scored David DeJesus. On the play, Brandon Allen advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Orioles 1, Athletics 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 15 10:44 PM
- David DeJesus doubled to right center scored Josh Willingham. Runner on second with none out and Brandon Allen due up.
Orioles 1, Athletics 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 15 10:39 PM
- Matt Wieters two-out, solo Home Run (11) to center. Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 1, Athletics 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 15 10:28 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 15 10:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21