A's handle OriolesAug 17, 2011 - 6:56 AM
Moscoso (6-6) was charged with three runs -- two earned -- on five hits over six full frames.
Cliff Pennington went 3-for-4 with an RBI and run scored to help halt Oakland's four-game skid. Josh Willingham had a solo homer and Jemile Weeks drove in a run and scored once.
Brian Matusz (1-5), in his first big-league start since June 30, was touched for six runs on eight hits in 6 2/3 innings for Baltimore, which was coming off a 6-2 win in the opener of the set.
"I thought [Matusz] deserved a lot better than what the line may read," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said.
The A's struck for three runs in the second inning and never gave up the lead. Scott Sizemore doubled off the left-field wall to score Brandon Allen and raced around on a Pennington base hit. Weeks doubled to right to plate Kurt Suzuki for a 3-0 cushion.
Josh Bell's run-scoring groundout and Vladimir Guerrero's RBI double in the third and fourth innings, respectively, sandwiched Willingham's 20th home run of the season in the third.
"When you talk about goals, that's certainly one for [Willingham]," Athletics manager Bob Melvin said. "He expects to hit between 20 and 30 home runs every year."
Bell drove in another run in the fifth on a base hit to center to pull within 4-3, but that was as close as Baltimore got.
Coco Crisp contributed to three essential insurance runs in the seventh, lacing a two-run double to left-center, then scoring on Hideki Matsui's single to right.
Allen tripled leading off the eighth and trotted home on Suzuki's sacrifice fly to left to account for Oakland's final run.
Guerrero scored on Robert Andino's infield hit in the ninth.
Orioles center fielder Adam Jones had two outfield assists...Matusz, the fourth overall pick by the O's in the 2008 draft, was recalled from Triple-A Norfolk before the game...Willingham's error in the fifth gave Oakland 100 for the season. The A's had committed at least 100 errors in a season just once over the previous seven years (105 in 2009).
- BALTIMORE: 4
Aug 17 1:01 AM
- Cliff Pennington singled to right. On the play, David DeJesus advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jemile Weeks due up.
Orioles 3, Athletics 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 17 12:50 AM
- Hideki Matsui single to right scored Coco Crisp with two out. Runner on first and Josh Willingham due up.
Orioles 3, Athletics 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 17 12:26 AM
- Coco Crisp double to left scored Cliff Pennington and Jemile Weeks with two out. Runner on second and Hideki Matsui due up.
Orioles 3, Athletics 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 17 12:25 AM
- Josh Bell singled to center scored Robert Andino with one out. Runner on first and Nolan Reimold due up.
Orioles 3, Athletics 4 Top 5, 1 OutAug 16 11:30 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero double to center scored Adam Jones with two out. Runner on second and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 4 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 16 11:15 PM
- Josh Willingham one-out, solo Home Run (20) to left. Brandon Allen due up.
Orioles 1, Athletics 4 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 16 11:00 PM
- Josh Bell ground out first to pitcher scored Mark Reynolds with two out. None on and Nolan Reimold due up.
Orioles 1, Athletics 3 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 16 10:55 PM
- Jemile Weeks double to right scored Kurt Suzuki with one out. On the play, Cliff Pennington advances to third. Runners on second and third and Coco Crisp due up.
Orioles 0, Athletics 3 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 16 10:46 PM
- Cliff Pennington infield single to first scored Scott Sizemore with one out. On the play, Kurt Suzuki advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jemile Weeks due up.
Orioles 0, Athletics 2 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 16 10:44 PM
- Scott Sizemore double to left scored Brandon Allen with none out. Runner on second and David DeJesus due up.
Orioles 0, Athletics 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 16 10:38 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 16 10:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21