Hunter dominates, as Angels down OriolesAug 20, 2011 - 5:33 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Torii Hunter hit two home runs and notched five RBI while extending his hit streak to 17 games, to lead the Angels past the Orioles, 8-3, in the opener of a three-game series.
Peter Bourjos had three hits including a solo shot and Mike Trout, who was called up prior to the game, added a homer. The Halos have won two straight following a five-game skid.
Dan Haren (13-6) allowed three runs on nine hits while striking out eight over seven innings to earn the win.
Jo Jo Reyes (6-10) allowed five runs on eight hits over five frames to suffer the loss. He walked three and struck out six.
Adam Jones had a pair of RBI for the Orioles, losers of three straight and six of eight.
On Thursday, the Angles downed the Rangers 2-1 courtesy of Mark Trumbo's two- run, walkoff homer. They carried the momentum into Friday, pushing four runs across in the opening frame.
Bourjos began the home first with a double to left and advanced to third on Alberto Callaspo's single. Howie Kendrick's base hit pushed Bourjos across and Hunter followed with a three-run blast down the left field line.
"Jo Jo wasn't crisp early," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter. "We were on the field for a long time and that wears you down mentally."
Vladimir Guerrero doubled to lead off the second, Matt Wieters was hit by a pitch and Robert Andino singled to load the bases with one down. The rally fizzled, however, when Nolan Reimold went down on strikes and Josh Bell grounded out.
Bourjos' homer a half-inning later made it a 5-0 game.
The Orioles scored a run in the third courtesy of three consecutive two-out singles by Jones, Guerrero and Wieters.
Jones notched a sac fly in both the fifth and seventh innings. The former brought home J.J. Hardy, who reached with a leadoff double and advanced to third on Nick Markakis single. The latter scored Josh Bell, who reached with a single and advanced to third on Hardy's base hit.
Jones had kept the Orioles within striking distance, but Hunter's two-run blast off Willie Eyre in the home seventh gave the Angles breathing room. Callaspo preceded the blast with a single to center.
"I'm just trying to simplify things," said Hunter. "I'm keeping my head down. I'm not trying to be a leader, I'm trying to lead by example."
Scott Downs relieved Haren to start the eighth and the Orioles loaded the bases with one out on singles by Wieters, Andino and Reimold. Downs settled, striking out Bell and flying out Hardy to escape unscathed.
Trout sealed the final margin with a solo homer in the eighth, his second career long ball and first at Angel Stadium.
Hunter notched his 16th career multi-home run game and first as a designated hitter...Haren has won seven of his last eight decisions...The Angels are 3-1 against Baltimore this season...The Angles trail AL West-leading Texas by six games...Trout was recalled from Double-A Arkansas.
- BALTIMORE: 3
LOS ANGELES: 8
Aug 20 12:48 AM
- Mike Trout one-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Bobby Wilson due up.
Orioles 3, Angels 8 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 20 12:31 AM
- Torii Hunter one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (17) to left scored Alberto Callaspo. Mark Trumbo due up.
Orioles 3, Angels 7 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 20 12:08 AM
- Adam Jones sacrifice fly to right scored Josh Bell with two out. Runner on first and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Orioles 3, Angels 5 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 19 11:59 PM
- Adam Jones sacrifice fly to right scored J.J. Hardy with one out. Runner on first and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Orioles 2, Angels 5 Top 5, 1 OutAug 19 11:25 PM
- Matt Wieters single to right scored Adam Jones with two out. On the play, Vladimir Guerrero advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 1, Angels 5 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 19 10:56 PM
- Peter Bourjos one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Orioles 0, Angels 5 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 19 10:46 PM
- Torii Hunter none-out, three-run Home Run (16) to left scored Alberto Callaspo and Howie Kendrick. Mark Trumbo due up.
Orioles 0, Angels 4 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 19 10:19 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to right scored Peter Bourjos with none out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to third. Runners on first and third and Torii Hunter due up.
Orioles 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 19 10:19 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 19 10:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Angels starter Santiago ejected for gesturing to umpire May 20
- Tim Lincecum signs $2.5 million, 1-year deal with Angels May 20