Angels drop Orioles, complete sweepAug 21, 2011 - 11:12 PM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Peter Bourjos went 3-for-5 with a homer and three RBI to back seven strong innings from Jerome Williams, as the Angels handled the Orioles, 7-1, to complete a three-game sweep.
Howie Kendrick hit a solo homer for the Angels, who have won four in a row to move within four games of the Rangers in the AL West. Texas lost to the White Sox on Sunday.
LA plays two games against the White Sox before starting a key three-game series with the Rangers in Texas.
Williams (1-0) gave up one run on six hits in his first start since May 15, 2007 versus Atlanta as a member of the Nationals. The Honolulu native struck out six batters.
It was the first victory for Williams since September 25, 2005 against Houston as a member of the Cubs.
"Jerome has a lot of baseball left if he pitches like he did today," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "He had very good stuff this afternoon."
Matt Wieters hit a solo homer for Baltimore, which has lost five in a row.
Brian Matusz (1-6) got blasted to the tune of six runs -- five earned -- on eight hits over four innings.
The Angels got on the board in the second. With two outs, Mike Trout hit a double to center. Bobby Wilson followed with an RBI double off the wall in left-center field. Maicer Izturis singled to put men on the corners. Bourjos came through with an RBI single to left for an early 2-0 lead.
LA added a run in the third. With two outs, Vernon Wells hit a routine fly ball to center field. Adam Jones lost the ball in the sun and Wells ended up at second with a double. Wells then stole third and scored on catcher Craig Tatum's throwing error.
Williams, who retired the first nine batters he faced, ran into trouble in the fourth. J.J. Hardy hit a bloop single to left, Nick Markakis singled to right and Jones reached on an infield single to load the bases. Vladimir Guerrero struck out swinging and Wieters grounded into a double play to keep it a 3-0 game.
The Angels continued to pound Matusz in the home fourth. Trout walked, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt and scored on Izturis' double to left. Bourjos followed with a two-run homer inside the left-field foul pole for a 6-0 margin. Torii Hunter was robbed of a homer by Jones to end the frame.
Bourjos has homered in three straight games for the first time in his career.
Kendrick's solo homer off Brad Bergesen in the sixth made it 7-0.
Wieters finally put the O's on the board with a homer in the seventh.
"We were sloppy defensively," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "It was a tough day for Blake (Davis)."
Third baseman Davis had three errors in the game.
The Angels took five of six from the O's this season...Williams started 10 games for Triple-A Salt Lake this year and went 7-2 with a 3.91 ERA in 11 games before getting the call back to the big club...Matusz has lost his last six decisions...The Orioles fell to 18-42 on the road in 2011...The O's were without first baseman Mark Reynolds (ankle)...Hunter, who went 0-for-5, saw an 18-game hitting streak come to an end...Bergesen allowed one run on four hits in three innings of relief...The Orioles optioned third baseman Josh Bell to Triple-A Norfolk after the game.
- BALTIMORE: 1
LOS ANGELES: 7
Aug 21 6:13 PM
- Matt Wieters lead-off Home Run (12) to right. Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 1, Angels 7 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 21 5:33 PM
- Howie Kendrick one-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Torii Hunter due up.
Orioles 0, Angels 7 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 21 5:26 PM
- Howie Kendrick lined out to center. None on with two outs and Torii Hunter due up.
Orioles 0, Angels 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 21 4:54 PM
- Maicer Izturis stole third. Runner on third with one out and Peter Bourjos at the plate.
Orioles 0, Angels 4 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 21 4:50 PM
- Vernon Wells stole third scored on Craig Tatum's throwing error. None on with two outs and Erick Aybar at the plate.
Orioles 0, Angels 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 21 4:30 PM
- Peter Bourjos singled to left scored Bobby Wilson. On the play, Maicer Izturis advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Howie Kendrick due up.
Orioles 0, Angels 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 21 4:13 PM
- Bobby Wilson doubled to left scored Mike Trout. Runner on second with two outs and Maicer Izturis due up.
Orioles 0, Angels 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 21 4:10 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 21 3:37 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Angels starter Santiago ejected for gesturing to umpire May 20
- Tim Lincecum signs $2.5 million, 1-year deal with Angels May 20