O's have their way with TwinsAug 24, 2011 - 5:07 AM
Alfredo Simon (4-6) allowed one run on three hits and a walk while fanning eight through eight innings in the Orioles' second straight win.
"He had good stuff no doubt, but we didn't have good at-bats. You can't give the pitcher too much credit. We just didn't do very well," Twins third baseman Danny Valencia said about Simon.
Brian Duensing (8-13) lasted just two-plus innings, allowing seven runs on nine hits and a walk for the loss.
Valencia's solo home run accounted for the Twins' lone run as they dropped their fifth game in six tries.
The visitors picked up all the offense they needed in the second inning.
Duensing knocked down a Vladimir Guerrero one-hopper with his bare hand but then threw the ball away, allowing Guerrero to move to second on the error. Guerrero advanced to third on a wild pitch before Matt Wieters brought him home with a double. Reynolds followed with a base hit and two batters later, Reimold pulled a ball just over the wall in left field to put the Orioles ahead, 4-0.
Guerrero started another rally in the third with a double down the third-base line. Wieters followed with a walk and Reynolds' triple brought them both home. Robert Andino then singled in Reynolds to put Baltimore ahead, 7-0, and Duensing was pulled in favor of Lester Oliveros.
Baltimore added another run in the fifth on Reynolds' RBI single.
"We're not going to throw in the towel. We're gonna keep battling and keep trying to get some wins, keep trying to play good baseball," Reimold said about the Orioles, who sit 28 games behind the first-place Yankees in the AL East.
Valencia put Minnesota on the board in the bottom half of the third with a leadoff shot to left for his 14th round-tripper of the year.
Prior to the contest, Baltimore designated outfielder Felix Pie for assignment, recalled outfielder Matt Angle from Triple-A Norfolk and selected the contract of infielder Jake Fox from Norfolk...Duensing has now lost his last five starts and six of his last seven...Baltimore improved to 4-2 against Minnesota this season...Orioles outfielder Adam Jones left the game after one inning due to an illness and was taken to a local hospital.
- BALTIMORE: 8
Aug 23 10:52 PM
- Mark Reynolds single to center scored Vladimir Guerrero with none out. On the play, Matt Wieters advances to second. Runners on first and second and Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 8, Twins 1 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 23 9:29 PM
- Danny Valencia lead-off Home Run (14) to left. Luke Hughes due up.
Orioles 7, Twins 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 23 9:05 PM
- Robert Andino single to left center scored Mark Reynolds with none out. Runner on first and Nolan Reimold due up.
Orioles 7, Twins 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 23 8:57 PM
- Mark Reynolds triple to center scored Vladimir Guerrero and Matt Wieters with none out. Runner on third with none out and Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 6, Twins 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 23 8:56 PM
- Nolan Reimold one-out, three-run Home Run (8) to left scored Matt Wieters and Mark Reynolds. Ryan Adams due up.
Orioles 4, Twins 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 23 8:36 PM
- Matt Wieters double to right scored Vladimir Guerrero with none out. Runner on second and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 1, Twins 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 23 8:31 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 8:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22