Orioles hammer YankeesAug 27, 2011 - 5:30 AM
Nolan Reimold doubled, tripled and drove in three for the Orioles, who won their fifth consecutive game after plating nine runs against New York starter A.J. Burnett.
"The last five or six games have been pretty good," Hardy said. "Our pitchers have been going out there and working fast and doing really well, and letting us score a few runs and keep the momentum on our side."
Tommy Hunter (3-2) allowed four runs in seven innings to help Baltimore win on a night the team honored the late Mike Flanagan.
Flanagan, who died Wednesday of a self-inflicted shotgun wound to the head, won the 1979 Cy Young as a pitcher for the Orioles and helped the team capture the World Series in 1983. He then served as a coach, front office executive and broadcaster for the team.
The Orioles held a moment of silence prior to the game, lowered a team flag at Camden Yards to half-staff and installed a banner with Flanagan's number 46 just above the press box. Players also started wearing a black patch with the name "Flanny" written in white on their uniforms.
Burnett (9-11) matched a career high with nine runs allowed in five innings, finishing an arduous August. In five starts, he posted an 11.91 ERA (30 earned runs in 22 2/3 innings), and allowed six homers and 44 hits.
The right-hander has given up at least seven runs in four outings this season -- three of which came in August.
"It's really just location at this point," said Yankees catcher Russell Martin. "He'll make a couple good pitches with his fastball, and the next one will be belt-high. Guys at this level, they don't miss it."
Alex Rodriguez, Jorge Posada and Nick Swisher homered for the Yankees, who were coming off Thursday's 22-9, three-grand slam rout of Oakland. They claimed the record-setting win after falling behind early, and found themselves in a similar position Friday thanks to the Orioles' six-run second inning.
Reynolds started the scoring with a one-out solo blast to left. He took five consecutive pitches before crushing a fastball, which Burnett left up, over the left field wall.
Ryan Adams then doubled to right-center field, starting a string of four consecutive doubles that produced three runs. Hardy followed the stretch by belting a hanging breaking ball deep into the left-center field seats, giving the Orioles a 6-0 lead.
Burnett ran into more trouble in the fourth because of wildness. A wild pitch allowed Matt Angle to reach on a strikeout, and four consecutive balls on an 0-2 count put Robert Andino on base. Another wild pitch allowed Angle to advance to third, and he scored on Hardy's grounder.
After Posada's solo shot in the next inning put New York on the board, Baltimore tacked on a few more runs.
A Wieters double and Adams walk put two on for Reimold, who lined a triple to right in the fifth. Wieters' homer off Luis Ayala in the sixth pushed Baltimore's lead to 12-1, and New York never recovered -- despite getting a solo shot from Rodriguez and a two-run homer from Swisher in the next inning.
While Hunter gave up a season-high three homers, he allowed only two other hits and didn't walk a batter.
Because of that, the Yankees didn't have the kind of big-play opportunities they did the day before, and ended 0-for-1 with runners in scoring position. Mark Teixeira hit a sacrifice fly in the eighth.
However, New York remained a game behind Boston for the AL East lead after the Red Sox fell to the A's on Friday.
The Orioles' current winning streak matches a season high. They also won five in a row from May 21-26...Saturday's scheduled doubleheader between the Orioles and Yankees has been postponed because of bad weather expected to occur as Hurricane Irene makes its way up the East Coast. The afternoon game will be played September 8 at a time to be determined, while the night contest has been bumped back to Sunday, creating another doubleheader.
- NEW YORK: 5
Aug 26 10:45 PM
- Mark Teixeira sacrifice fly to left scored Derek Jeter. None on with two outs and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 5, Orioles 12 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 26 10:39 PM
- Nick Swisher none-out, two-run Home Run (19) to right scored Robinson Cano. Jorge Posada is due up.
Yankees 4, Orioles 12 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 26 9:25 PM
- Alex Rodriguez lead-off Home Run (14) to center. Robinson Cano is due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 12 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 26 9:22 PM
- Mark Reynolds struck out swinging to end the inning.
Yankees 1, Orioles 12 End 6Aug 26 9:20 PM
- Matt Angle struck out looking to end the inning.
Yankees 1, Orioles 9 End 5Aug 26 9:00 PM
- Jorge Posada one-out, solo Home Run (12) to right-center. Russell Martin is due up.
Yankees 1, Orioles 7 Top 5, 1 OutAug 26 8:39 PM
- J.J. Hardy's fielder's choice from short to second scored Matt Angle. Robert Andino out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Nick Markakis due up.
Yankees 0, Orioles 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 26 8:33 PM
- J.J. Hardy one-out, two-run Home Run (25) to left-center scored Robert Andino. Nick Markakis is due up.
Yankees 0, Orioles 6 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 26 7:52 PM
- Robert Andino doubled to right scoring Matt Angle. Runner on second with one out and J.J. Hardy due up.
Yankees 0, Orioles 4 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 26 7:51 PM
- Matt Angle doubled to right scoring Nolan Reimold. Runner on second with one out and Robert Andino due up.
Yankees 0, Orioles 3 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 26 7:48 PM
- Nolan Reimold doubled to left scoring Ryan Adams. Runner on second with one out and Matt Angle due up.
Yankees 0, Orioles 2 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 26 7:46 PM
- Mark Reynolds one-out, solo Home Run (30) to left. Ryan Adams is due up.
Yankees 0, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 26 7:39 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 26 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21