Lawrie's HR leads Jays past O'sSep 1, 2011 - 10:39 PM
Kelly Johnson hit a solo homer for the Blue Jays, who have won three of four. Yunel Escobar went 4-for-5 with two RBI and a run scored.
Toronto starter Luis Perez gave up five runs on six hits over five-plus innings. He struck out six and walked three. Shawn Camp (2-3) recorded the final two outs in the seventh to pick up the win.
Vladimir Guerrero went 3-for-4 with a homer, four RBI and two runs scored for the Orioles, who have dropped four of five. Matt Wieters hit a solo homer and drove in two runs.
Tommy Hunter allowed six runs -- five earned -- on nine hits over six innings for Baltimore. Willie Eyre (1-1) gave up Lawrie's homer to take the loss.
Hunter was taken to a nearby hospital following his outing due to an unknown illness. O's manager Buck Showalter said Hunter was vomiting after leaving the game.
Wieters doubled in Guerrero in the second inning to give the Orioles an early 1-0 lead.
The Blue Jays responded with two runs in the third to go in front. Mike McCoy walked and Escobar doubled to start the frame. Eric Thames' RBI groundout and Jose Bautista's run-scoring single made it 2-1.
Toronto tacked on two more runs in the fourth. Lawrie hit a one-out double to right and crossed the plate on J.P. Arencibia's double to left. Escobar knocked in Arencibia with a two-out single, making it 4-1.
Guerrero and Wieters hit back-to-back solo homers in the home fourth to make it a one-run game.
The Blue Jays created some distance again with a two-run sixth. Johnson led off with a homer to right-center field. With two outs, McCoy reached first on third baseman Robert Andino's fielding error. Escobar followed with an RBI double.
The O's came right back in the home sixth. Nick Markakis and Adam Jones worked back-to-back walks to begin the inning. Guerrero stepped to the plate and cleared the bases with a double to right-center field, cutting the gap to 6-5.
Guerrero then tied the game in the seventh. With the bases loaded and one out, Guerrero hit an RBI groundout to make it 6-6. Wieters flied out to end the frame.
The Blue Jays took the lead for good in the eighth. Johnson walked and scored on Lawrie's blast to left for an 8-6 edge.
"It looked like an alright pitch, he just got to it," Eyre said.
Jon Rauch came off the DL before the game and pitched a scoreless eighth. Frank Francisco shut down the O's in the ninth to pick up his 12th save of the season.
Toronto leads the season series with Baltimore, 9-6...The Orioles selected the contracts of pitcher Rick VandenHurk and outfielder Kyle Hudson from Triple-A Norfolk. VandenHurk pitched 1 1/3 scoreless innings...Rauch had been on the disabled list with appendicitis...Hunter won't travel with the team to Tampa Bay.
- TORONTO: 8
Sep 1 3:40 PM
- Brett Lawrie none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Kelly Johnson. J.P. Arencibia due up.
Blue Jays 8, Orioles 6 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 1 3:02 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero grounded out short to first scoring Robert Andino. On the play, Adam Jones advances to second and Nick Markakis advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Matt Wieters due up.
Blue Jays 6, Orioles 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 1 2:57 PM
- Matt Wieters walked. Runners on first and second with none out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Blue Jays 6, Orioles 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 1 2:28 PM
- Yunel Escobar doubled to left center scoring Mike McCoy. Runner on second with two outs and Eric Thames due up.
Blue Jays 6, Orioles 3 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 1 2:14 PM
- Kelly Johnson lead-off Home Run (2) to right center. Brett Lawrie due up.
Blue Jays 5, Orioles 3 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 1 2:07 PM
- Mark Reynolds struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Nolan Reimold due up.
Blue Jays 4, Orioles 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 1 1:51 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero one-out, solo Home Run (11) to center. Matt Wieters due up.
Blue Jays 4, Orioles 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 1 1:47 PM
- Yunel Escobar singled to left scoring J.P. Arencibia. Runner on second with two outs and Eric Thames due up.
Blue Jays 4, Orioles 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 1 1:40 PM
- J.P. Arencibia doubled to left scoring Brett Lawrie. Runner on second with one out and Mike McCoy due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 1 Top 4, 1 OutSep 1 1:38 PM
- Jose Bautista singled to center scoring Yunel Escobar. Runner on first with one out and Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 1 Top 3, 1 OutSep 1 1:20 PM
- Eric Thames grounded out to first scoring Mike McCoy. On the play, Yunel Escobar advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 1, Orioles 1 Top 3, 1 OutSep 1 1:20 PM
- Matt Wieters doubled to left center scoring Vladimir Guerrero. Runner on second with one out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Blue Jays 0, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 1 1:09 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 1 12:39 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22