Upton drives in 5, leads Rays over O'sSep 4, 2011 - 5:09 AM
Wade Davis (9-8) worked into the seventh inning to earn the win, giving up three runs on five hits while walking four and striking out five.
Davis was lifted after 6 2/3 frames with a man on base and the Tampa Bay bullpen didn't allow a hit the rest of the way. Kyle Farnsworth worked around a walk in the ninth to earn his 23rd save.
"The guys picked me up out there tonight," said Davis. "It's a huge confidence boost when they do that and I was able to get some quick outs later in the game and keep things going."
The Rays bounced back from Friday's loss in the opener of this three-game series and snapped a two-game losing streak.
Nick Markakis hit a two-run homer in the first inning and Matt Wieters added an RBI single for the Orioles, who have lost five of their last seven.
Davis snapped a five-game winless streak despite a shaky start. He gave up a leadoff single to J.J. Hardy and Markakis followed with a his 14th homer of the season.
But Upton tied the game for Tampa Bay with his first double of the game, a two-run hit in the bottom of the inning off Orioles starter Alfredo Simon.
Matt Joyce hit an RBI double in the third to give the Rays the lead for good, and Upton delivered another big hit against Simon in the fifth, scoring three runners with a double to center field to make it 6-2.
Simon (4-8) worked into the sixth, but was pulled after giving up a leadoff double to Sean Rodriguez. He fell to 1-3 in his last four starts, allowing seven hits and four walks with two strikeouts.
"I was just trying to throw fastballs and I kept getting behind in the count," said Simon. "My breaking ball was no good out there. I just have to keep working and improve those things."
Baltimore's last run came on Wieters' single in the sixth. The Orioles had a baserunner in each of the last three innings, but stranded all of them and left seven on base for the game.
The teams have split 14 games this season...The Rays left four men on base...Davis earned his first win since July 28.
- BALTIMORE: 3
TAMPA BAY: 6
Sep 3 8:58 PM
- Matt Wieters singled to right scored Nick Markakis. On the play, Adam Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 3, Rays 6 Top 6, 1 OutSep 3 7:46 PM
- B.J. Upton doubled to center scored Desmond Jennings, Johnny Damon and Matt Joyce. Runner on second with two outs and Casey Kotchman due up.
Orioles 2, Rays 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 3 7:34 PM
- Matt Joyce doubled to center scored Evan Longoria. Runner on second with two outs and B.J. Upton due up.
Orioles 2, Rays 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 3 7:02 PM
- B.J. Upton doubled to left center scored Evan Longoria and Matt Joyce. Runner on second with two outs and Casey Kotchman due up.
Orioles 2, Rays 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 3 6:29 PM
- Adam Jones struck out swinging. None on with one out and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Orioles 2, Rays 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 3 6:17 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 3 6:10 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21