Deep into the night: Yankees wait out rain, top O'sSep 7, 2011 - 7:20 AM
When the rain-delayed affair was over -- at roughly 2:20 a.m. (et) -- it was the AL East-leading Yankees coming away with the 5-3 victory thanks to home runs by Jorge Posada, Francisco Cervelli and Brett Gardner.
Boone Logan gave up the tying run in the seventh but back-to-back shots by Cervelli and Gardner off Tommy Hunter (3-3) in the bottom half gave the Yankees their sixth straight win, keeping them 2 1/2 games up on second-place Boston.
Hunter gave up five runs -- four earned -- on five hits and two walks in 6 2/3 innings for the Orioles, who got a two-run homer from Matt Wieters but nonetheless dropped their fourth straight game.
The lengthy four-hour, three-minute delay added to a busy week for the Yankees, who finish this three-game series Wednesday afternoon before heading to Baltimore for a makeup game, then traveling to Anaheim to face the Angels for three games over the weekend.
"It was a long day. I'm proud of what our guys did," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "We found a way to get it done. It was outstanding."
Phil Hughes, in perhaps his final start as the Yankees opt for a five-man rotation going forward, was charged with two runs on five hits over six innings.
Posada hit a solo blast in the third, somehow finding the glove of one of the few fans remaining in right field. Rain was persistent throughout the game, and spectators were few and far between.
Posada scored again in the fifth, racing around from first when Cervelli's wind-altered fly ball to left was dropped by Matt Angle.
Wieters tied things in the sixth with his 17th home run of the year, while Mark Teixeira and Nick Markakis traded run-scoring hits leading up to the deciding seventh.
The inning didn't start the way New York wanted, as Eric Chavez flied out and Posada was tagged out after making too wide a turn at first base following a Hunter throwing error.
But the hosts appeared to catch a break when Cervelli drove one deep to left field. A pair of fans sitting in the front row reached out for the souvenir, but dropped the ball back into the field of play. The umpires, after using replay to determine if the fans interfered with the ball in play, awarded Cervelli a home run, confirming the call on the field.
Gardner followed with a line drive off the right-field foul pole for a 5-3 cushion, and Mariano Rivera anchored the bullpen with a scoreless ninth to record his 39th save of the season.
Cory Wade (4-0) stranded Markakis on second in the seventh to earn the win.
The first pitch was recorded at 11:08 p.m. (et)...Due to the circumstances, the Yankees will awarded fans with a ticket a free Grandstand Level or Terrace Level ticket for a game next season, subject to availability...Rivera is two saves shy of 600 for his career...Gardner's homer was the 200th of the season for New York...The Yankees lead the season series, 13-3.
- BALTIMORE: 3
NEW YORK: 5
Sep 7 2:15 AM
- Brett Gardner two-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Derek Jeter due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 7 1:43 AM
- Francisco Cervelli two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Brett Gardner due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 7 1:41 AM
- Nick Markakis doubled to right scored Robert Andino. Runner on second with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 3 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 7 1:24 AM
- Mark Teixeira singled to right scored Derek Jeter. On the play, Curtis Granderson advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Robinson Cano due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 7 1:07 AM
- Matt Wieters two-out, two-run Home Run (17) to right scored Vladimir Guerrero. Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 7 12:58 AM
- Francisco Cervelli reached second on Matt Angle's fielding error scored Jorge Posada. Runner on second with two outs and Brett Gardner due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 7 12:44 AM
- Jorge Posada one-out, solo Home Run (13) to right. Francisco Cervelli due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 6 11:49 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 6 11:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21