O's sink Halos with early offenseSep 18, 2011 - 3:18 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Mark Reynolds hit a three-run home run in a five-run first inning as the Baltimore Orioles took a 6-2 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim in the second of a three-game set.
J.J. Hardy hit a two-run home run while Matt Wieters scored twice for the Orioles, who have won four straight. Zach Britton (10-10) got the win as he gave up just one run on three hits with a pair of walks and seven strikeouts in seven innings.
"We know they're playing hard and trying to win," said Britton. "So whenver you play hard and put together a good win against a team fighting for a playoff spot it feels good."
Vernon Wells and Bobby Wilson each drove in a run for the Angels, who have dropped four of six. Ervin Santana (11-12) dropped his third straight start as he was tagged for five runs on five hits with three walks over seven innings.
"This is a team and we have to play as a team," said Santana. "We have to step it up if we want to be playing in October."
The loss moves the Angels to 4 1/2 games back of the Rangers for first place in the AL West as Texas beat Seattle on Saturday.
The Orioles gave Britton a comfortable cushion to work with as Hardy hit a two-run home run in the first and Reynolds followed with a three-run shot later in the frame for a 5-0 lead.
The Angels got their first hit of the game in the fifth on an infield single from Mike Trout and Erick Aybar followed with a single. Wilson then brought home a run with a sac fly.
Chris Davis' double in the eighth was bobbled by Trout in right field, plating Wieters for a 6-1 lead.
Wells hit an RBI triple in the ninth off of Jim Johnson to account for the final score.
The Angels have won five of the eight games against the Orioles this season...Santana fell to 4-5 in 12 starts against the Orioles...Hardy broke his career-high with his 27th home run of the season in the game. With 73 RBI he is seven away from reaching his career-high.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Sep 17 9:43 PM
- Chris Davis double to right. On the play, Matt Wieters advances home on Mike Trout's fielding error with none out. Runner on second and Josh Bell due up.
Angels 1, Orioles 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 17 9:28 PM
- Maicer Izturis grounded out pitcher to first to end the inning.
Angels 1, Orioles 5 Mid 5Sep 17 8:41 PM
- Mark Reynolds two-out, three-run Home Run (34) to left scored Vladimir Guerrero and Matt Wieters. Nolan Reimold due up.
Angels 0, Orioles 5 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 17 7:41 PM
- J.J. Hardy none-out, two-run Home Run (27) to left scored Matt Angle. Nick Markakis due up.
Angels 0, Orioles 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 17 7:33 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 17 7:20 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Angels starter Santiago ejected for gesturing to umpire May 20
- Tim Lincecum signs $2.5 million, 1-year deal with Angels May 20