Aybar-led Angels rout OriolesSep 19, 2011 - 2:28 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Erick Aybar went 4-for-4 with two home runs, two doubles and four RBI, powering the Angels to an 11-2 thumping of the Orioles.
Los Angeles salvaged the three-game series behind 15 hits and a solid start from Jered Weaver on three days' rest.
Weaver (18-7) lasted six innings and gave up two runs on six hits for the Angels, who are 4 1/2 games behind AL West-leading Texas.
"He's one of the best pitchers in the game right now," Orioles catcher Craig Tatum said of Weaver. "He showed he can come back off three days' rest and still do it."
Howie Kendrick had three hits and drove in three runs, while Vernon Wells added a two-run homer in the blowout.
Alfredo Simon (4-9) was tagged for six runs on eight hits over five innings for Baltimore, which despite the loss has won consecutive series against playoff hopefuls.
Aybar led off the game with a walk and scored from first on Bobby Abreu's double into the right-field corner.
Nick Markakis also scored from first in the bottom half, racing around when Vladimir Guerrero's bloop hit to right turned into a triple.
Aybar led off the third with a blast into the right-field seats, then followed up Wells' two-run homer with one of his own in the fourth.
"[Aybar] had a tremendous game for us, obviously" Weaver said. "He's not really known for his power, but does get into a couple now and again and he was able to get into two today."
Kendrick doubled in a pair in the sixth for an 8-1 cushion.
Guerrero took Weaver deep in the home half, but the Angels tacked on three more runs in the eighth on RBI hits from Aybar, Kendrick and Torii Hunter to win going away.
This was Aybar's first career multi-homer game...The Angels begin a four-game series in Toronto on Monday...Baltimore heads to Boston for a four-game set.
- LOS ANGELES: 11
Sep 18 4:34 PM
- Torii Hunter singled to left scored Howie Kendrick. On the play, Hunter thrown out at second, left to catcher to second to end the inning.
Angels 11, Orioles 2 Mid 8Sep 18 4:07 PM
- Erick Aybar doubled to left scored Peter Bourjos. Runner on second with one out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 9, Orioles 2 Top 8, 1 OutSep 18 4:04 PM
- Chris Davis singled to right. Runner on first with one out and Josh Bell due up.
Angels 8, Orioles 2 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 18 3:36 PM
- Zach Phillips enters the game with a runner on second and two out.
Angels 8, Orioles 1 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 18 3:24 PM
- Howie Kendrick singled to center. Runner on first with two outs and Bobby Abreu due up.
Angels 6, Orioles 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 18 2:48 PM
- Vernon Wells one-out, two-run Home Run (22) to center scored Alberto Callaspo. Peter Bourjos due up.
Angels 4, Orioles 1 Top 4, 1 OutSep 18 2:41 PM
- Torii Hunter grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Angels 2, Orioles 1 Mid 3Sep 18 2:28 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero tripled to right scored Nick Markakis. Runner on third with two outs and Chris Davis due up.
Angels 1, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 18 2:02 PM
- Torii Hunter struck out swinging. Runner on second with two outs and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 18 1:48 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 18 1:40 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Angels starter Santiago ejected for gesturing to umpire May 20
- Tim Lincecum signs $2.5 million, 1-year deal with Angels May 20