Red Sox outslug Orioles to split twinbillSep 20, 2011 - 6:13 AM
In the opener, Robert Andino hit a two-run homer and Nolan Reimold and J.J. Hardy each had solo shots in the Orioles' 6-5 victory.
Boston received a boost in the nightcap, however, as Jed Lowrie returned to the lineup to go 2-for-5 with a three-run homer and four RBI.
Dustin Pedroia also knocked in four runs for the Red Sox, who lead the idle Rays by two games in the AL wild card race. They sit five games behind the AL East-leading Yankees, who defeated the Twins on Monday.
Red Sox starter John Lackey allowed eight runs on 11 hits over 4 1/3 innings. He was reliever by Scott Atchison (1-0) who tossed 1 1/3 scoreless innings to earn the win.
"I'm glad we won, obviously, but I'm pretty frustrated," said Lackey, who hasn't recorded a win since August 23.
Brian Matusz (1-8) lasted just 1 2/3 frames, surrendering six runs and as many hits to suffer the loss.
"It's frustrating to be able to go out there and not hold the opponent," Matusz said. "I'm just going to keep building, keep working, that's all I can do."
Reimold had three RBI for the Orioles.
With the Red Sox up 11-9, Ellsbury began the home seventh with a fly ball which caromed off the triangle at the deepest part of the park in right-center and rolled along the base of the wall. He crossed the plate standing up.
"When I hit I was hoping it was going to get out, and once I saw it hit the wall I saw it carom and I thought I had a pretty good shot at getting an inside-the-park home run," Ellsbury said. "And when I saw Bogey (third base coach Tim Bogar) waving me, I knew it was going to happen."
Singles by Marco Scutaro, Adrian Gonzalez and Pedroia pushed another run across. After an Ortiz walk, Brad Bergesen entered and allowed a Lowrie RBI single.
Jackson then ripped a a 2-1 fastball over the Green Monster for an 18-9 Red Sox lead.
Earlier, the gathering storm that has marked Boston's September swoon appeared even cloudier after a three-run Orioles first.
The inning began as Matt Angle singled then stole second priro to a walk to Hardy, and Nick Markakis' single through the right side plated a run. Vladimir Guerrero added a sacrifice fly before Chris Davis' base hit. Right fielder Darnell McDonald's throw home was on time, but the sliding Markakis dislodged the ball from Jason Varitek's glove for a 3-0 lead.
A glimmer of sunshine appeared, however, in the form of Lowrie, who returned to the field after missing close to a week with a sore left shoulder.
In the bottom half, Ellsbury scored on a Pedroia groundout and Lowrie followed Ortiz's double with a three-run, go-ahead homer to whip the Fenway faithful into a frenzy.
The momentum carried over to the second. Scutaro doubled home Varitek and Matusz was relieved by Chris Jakubauskas after an intentional walk to Gonzalez. Pedroia followed with an RBI single to give the Red Sox a 6-3 lead.
With two down in the top of the third, Lackey struck out Guerrero, but the ball got past Varitek, and the designated hitter reached first to extend the inning. A Davis single and an Andino walk loaded the bases before Reimold's two-run single made it a 6-5 game.
But the Red Sox rallied with a five-run bottom half, exhibiting a measure of moxie that has been lacking in recent weeks.
McDonald and Scutaro both knocked in a run sandwiched around Ellsbury's RBI double before Jakubauskas gave way to Jason Berken. Consecutive RBI singles by Pedroia and Ortiz made it an 11-5 game.
Markakis had an RBI triple in the top of the fourth, Reimold and Ryan Adams both knocked in a run in the fifth with a sac fly and a single, respectively, and Guerrero's RBI double in the sixth cut the Orioles' deficit to 11-9.
"It was a well-needed win," said Varitek.
Jackson notched his second career grand slam...Lowrie hadn't played since September 13 thanks to a lingering shoulder injury...The Red Sox tallied 20 hits.
- BALTIMORE: 9
Sep 19 11:06 PM
- Conor Jackson none-out, Grand Slam (5) to left scored Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz and Jed Lowrie. Jason Varitek due up.
Orioles 9, Red Sox 18 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 19 10:33 PM
- Jed Lowrie single to right scored Lars Anderson with none out. On the play, David Ortiz advances to second and Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Conor Jackson due up.
Orioles 9, Red Sox 14 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 19 10:32 PM
- Dustin Pedroia single to right scored Marco Scutaro with none out. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and David Ortiz due up.
Orioles 9, Red Sox 13 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 19 10:23 PM
- Marco Scutaro singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Orioles 9, Red Sox 12 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 19 10:20 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero doubled to right scored Nick Markakis with two out. On the play Vladimir Guerrero was thrown out at third to end the inning.
Orioles 9, Red Sox 11 Mid 6Sep 19 9:56 PM
- Ryan Adams single to center scored Robert Andino with one out.. Runner on first with one out and Craig Tatum due up.
Orioles 8, Red Sox 11 Top 5, 1 OutSep 19 9:24 PM
- Nolan Reimold sacrifice fly to right scored Chris Davis with one out. On the play, Robert Andino advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Ryan Adams due up.
Orioles 7, Red Sox 11 Top 5, 1 OutSep 19 9:23 PM
- Nick Markakis triple to right scored Matt Angle with two out. Runner on third with two outs and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Orioles 6, Red Sox 11 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 19 9:03 PM
- David Ortiz infield single to second scored Adrian Gonzalez with two out. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jed Lowrie due up.
Orioles 5, Red Sox 11 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 19 8:48 PM
- Dustin Pedroia single to right scored Marco Scutaro with two out. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Orioles 5, Red Sox 10 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 19 8:47 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to center scored Jacoby Ellsbury with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Orioles 5, Red Sox 9 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 19 8:38 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury double to left scored Darnell McDonald with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Marco Scutaro due up.
Orioles 5, Red Sox 8 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 19 8:37 PM
- Darnell McDonald infield single to short scored Jed Lowrie with two out. On the play Darnell McDonald advances to second on J.J. Hardy throwing error. Runner on second with two outs and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Orioles 5, Red Sox 7 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 19 8:37 PM
- Nolan Reimold single to right scored Vladimir Guerrero and Chris Davis with two out. On the play, Robert Andino advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ryan Adams due up.
Orioles 5, Red Sox 6 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 19 8:25 PM
- Dustin Pedroia single to right scored Marco Scutaro with two out. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Orioles 3, Red Sox 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 19 8:03 PM
- Marco Scutaro double to left scored Jason Varitek with two out. On the play, Darnell McDonald was thrown out at home. Runner on second with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Orioles 3, Red Sox 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 19 7:58 PM
- Jed Lowrie two-out, three-run Home Run (5) to left scored Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz. Conor Jackson due up.
Orioles 3, Red Sox 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 19 7:42 PM
- Dustin Pedroia fielder's choice to third scored Jacoby Ellsbury with two out. Adrian Gonzalez out at second. Runner on first with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Orioles 3, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 19 7:37 PM
- Chris Davis single to right scored Nick Markakis with one out. on the play Chris Davis advances to second on Jason Varitek throwing error. Runner on second with one out and Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 3, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 19 7:22 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero sacrifice fly to right scored J.J. Hardy with one out. Runner on first with one out and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 2, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 19 7:18 PM
- Nick Markakis single to right scored Matt Angle with none out. On the play, J.J. Hardy advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Orioles 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 19 7:17 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 19 7:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21