Berkman helps Cards down MarlinsMay 5, 2011 - 11:08 PM
Cardinals starter Jake Westbrook carried a perfect game into the fifth inning and went 6 1/3 innings, allowing three runs on seven hits and no walks while striking out eight. But Jason Motte (1-0) earned the win for tossing one inning of scoreless relief.
Albert Pujols went 3-for-3 with a run scored for the Cardinals, who have won six of their last nine.
Josh Johnson (3-1) pitched 7 1/3 innings and took the loss, allowing five runs on eight hits and four walks while fanning seven to give Florida just its second loss in its last five games.
"It's part of the game. I came out pretty aggressive with decent pitches," said Johnson of his performance. "There was a broken bat and then there was a little blooper. You don't want that stuff to happen, but they were decent pitches so you can't get too upset."
Matt Holliday had an RBI single in the first to score Colby Rasmus and give the Cards a 1-0 lead.
Greg Dobbs broke up Westbrook's perfect game bid with two outs in the fifth inning with a single, and was followed by consecutive singles by John Buck and Omar Infante that brought home Dobbs. Johnson then hit a fourth consecutive single to score Buck and give Florida a 2-1 advantage.
Berkman's sacrifice fly in the sixth tied the game at two.
Florida took back the lead in the seventh on Infante's RBI single that plated Buck and forced Westbrook from the game.
The Cardinals knotted the game again in the eighth on consecutive singles by Rasmus, Pujols, and Holliday that knocked Johnson off the mound.
Michael Dunn entered in relief and quickly gave up a three-run shot to Berkman that gave St. Louis a 6-3 lead.
"The character of this ballclub is outstanding. We've shown it already in the first month, and I don't think anything is going to change...We have an opportunity to have a very special team," said Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa.
Eduardo Sanchez entered in the ninth for St. Louis and walked Gaby Sanchez before inducing a double play off the bat of Mike Stanton. Wes Helms then worked a walk, but Buck grounded out to end the game and give the reliever his third save of the season.
Dobbs left the game with a right ankle sprain in the seventh inning and is day-to-day...Holliday extended his hit streak to 11 games...Johnson threw 114 pitches -- 65 for strikes...Both teams went 3-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
- FLORIDA: 3
ST. LOUIS: 6
May 5 4:23 PM
- Lance Berkman one-out, three-run Home Run (10) to left scored Albert Pujols and Matt Holliday. Gerald Laird due up.
Marlins 3, Cardinals 6 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 5 4:07 PM
- Matt Holliday singled to right scored Colby Rasmus with one out. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to second. Runners on first and second with Lance Berkman due up.
Marlins 3, Cardinals 3 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 5 4:03 PM
- Omar Infante singled to center scored John Buck with one out. Runner on first and Josh Johnson due up.
Marlins 3, Cardinals 2 Top 7, 1 OutMay 5 3:31 PM
- Lance Berkman sacrifice fly out to left scored Colby Rasmus with two out. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to second. Runner on second and Gerald Laird due up.
Marlins 2, Cardinals 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 5 3:21 PM
- Josh Johnson singled to left scored John Buck with two out. On the play, Omar Infante advances to second. Runners on first and second with Chris Coghlan due up.
Marlins 2, Cardinals 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 5 2:55 PM
- Omar Infante singled to center scored Greg Dobbs with two out. On the play, John Buck advances to second. Runners on first and second with Josh Johnson due up.
Marlins 1, Cardinals 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 5 2:53 PM
- Matt Holliday singled to center scored Colby Rasmus with one out. On the play, Albert Pujols was thrown out at third from center to third. Runner on first and Lance Berkman due up.
Marlins 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 5 1:58 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 5 1:46 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21