Descalso plays hero again, Cards top Padres in 11May 25, 2011 - 7:56 AM
Ernesto Frieri (1-2) walked Allen Craig to start the 11th and struck out the next two batters, though Craig managed to steal second to get into scoring position.
Descalso, one day after opening the three-game series with a go-ahead RBI in the ninth, grounded one up the middle that caromed off the glove of a diving Orlando Hudson at second. The ball trickled into the outfield, and Craig scored without a play at the plate.
Eduardo Sanchez closed out St. Louis' fourth straight win with a perfect bottom half, picking up his fifth save of the year in the process.
Miguel Batista (3-1) tossed two hitless innings in relief to earn the victory.
Brad Hawpe hit a two-run homer for the Padres, who recorded just two hits to drop their fifth straight game.
"We're playing hard, we're just not getting in the win column," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Hawpe's blast came after Ryan Theriot's throwing error allowed Ryan Ludwick to reach base with two outs in the first inning. The unearned runs were the lone blemish for Kyle McClellan in his six-inning start.
Aaron Harang also pitched well for San Diego, allowing two runs -- one earned -- on eight hits and one walk while fanning seven in as many innings.
A Lance Berkman single and Hawpe throwing error plated Jon Jay with two outs in the first inning, though Hawpe made it 2-1 in the bottom half.
The Cardinals put runners on the corners with no outs in the seventh, but Tony Cruz, playing in his first big-league game, was thrown out a home trying to score on pinch-hitter Colby Rasmus' grounder to first.
Theriot's run-scoring groundout later in the frame tied things, though Hawpe made a diving grab at first base on Jay's line drive to strand a runner on third.
McClellan struck out four, gave up two hits and did not walk a batter...Cruz and Descalso each had three of the Cardinals' 12 hits...Cardinals left fielder Matt Holliday did not play because of tightness in his left quadriceps.
- ST. LOUIS: 3
SAN DIEGO: 2
May 25 1:07 AM
- Daniel Descalso singled to center, deflected at second, scored Allen Craig with two out. Runner on first and Colby Rasmus due up.
Cardinals 3, Padres 2 Top 11, 2 OutsMay 25 12:57 AM
- Ryan Theriot ground out second to first scored Daniel Descalso with two out. On the play, Colby Rasmus advanced to third. Runner on third and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 2, Padres 2 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 24 11:37 PM
- Brad Hawpe two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to center scored Ryan Ludwick. Chase Headley due up.
Cardinals 1, Padres 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 24 10:19 PM
- Lance Berkman singled to first. On the play, Jon Jay scored on Brad Hawpe's throwing error. Runner on first with two outs and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 24 10:13 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 24 10:05 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21