Rasmus leads Cardinals in rout of RockiesMay 28, 2011 - 6:23 AM
Rasmus, hitless in 20 at-bats coming in, highlighted a 19-hit attack by the Cardinals in their ninth win in 11 games.
"This game is crazy sometimes. I didn't change a whole lot. I just took my hands back as far as I could and tried to drive it," Rasmus said.
Albert Pujols chipped in two hits and drove in a pair for the victors.
Jake Westbrook (5-3) was credited with the win in the minimum five innings, yielding three runs on five hits.
Jimenez (0-5) was struck for six runs on 12 hits in his six-inning start to remain winless. Colorado has lost four straight and seven of eight overall.
"I don't even want to think about it. It's hard," Jimenez said of his slow start.
The Cardinals broke a 3-3 tie with a three-run sixth frame. Allen Craig led of the inning with a single and raced around on Rasmus' three-bagger over the head of Eric Young Jr. in center.
Yadier Molina tacked on an RBI groundout, and the Cardinals pushed another run across later in the inning on a wild pitch.
With Matt Daley on the hill in the seventh, Rasmus came up with two on and tripled into the right-field corner for an 8-3 cushion, then raced in on Molina's sacrifice fly.
Tyler Greene singled in Peter Kozma in the ninth to account for the final margin.
Pujols had a pair of opposite-field RBI singles in the first and third innings and scored in the latter frame on Craig's base hit.
The Rockies had taken the lead in the second on run-scoring hits from Ty Wigginton and Chris Iannetta, then tied it the home third when Carlos Gonzalez singled through the left side to plate Young for a 3-3 game.
Colorado left the bases loaded, however, and did not record a hit the rest of the game against relievers Miguel Batista, Eduardo Sanchez and Jason Motte.
At this point last year, Jimenez was 9-1 with a 0.88 earned-run average. His ERA is 5.86 this season...Westbrook was a first-round pick by the Rockies in 1996...St. Louis went 7-for-15 with runners in scoring position...Rockies reliever Bruce Billings made his major-league debut and allowed one run on five hits in two innings...Young was recalled from Triple-A Colorado Springs before the game. The Rockies also designated infielder Jose Lopez for assignment.
- ST. LOUIS: 10
May 27 11:39 PM
- Tyler Greene single to right scored Peter Kozma. Runner on first with none out and Colby Rasmus due up.
Cardinals 10, Rockies 3 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 27 11:24 PM
- Daniel Descalso struck out swinging to end the inning.
Cardinals 9, Rockies 3 Mid 7May 27 10:44 PM
- Colby Rasmus triple to right scored Lance Berkman and Tyler Greene. Runner on third with one out and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 8, Rockies 3 Top 7, 1 OutMay 27 10:39 PM
- Ryan Theriot advances to third on a wild pitch. Kyle Lohse scored on a wild pitch. Runner on third with two outs and Jon Jay at the plate.
Cardinals 6, Rockies 3 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 27 10:27 PM
- Yadier Molina grounded out short to first scoring Colby Rasmus. None on with one out and Daniel Descalso due up.
Cardinals 5, Rockies 3 Top 6, 1 OutMay 27 10:16 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez single to left scored Eric Young Jr. Runner on first with one out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Cardinals 3, Rockies 3 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 27 9:36 PM
- Allen Craig single to right scored Albert Pujols. On the play, Lance Berkman advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Colby Rasmus due up.
Cardinals 3, Rockies 2 Top 3, 1 OutMay 27 9:27 PM
- Albert Pujols single to center scored Ryan Theriot. Runner on first with one out and Lance Berkman due up.
Cardinals 2, Rockies 2 Top 3, 1 OutMay 27 9:22 PM
- Chris Iannetta double to left center scored Ty Wigginton. Runner on second with two outs and Ubaldo Jimenez due up.
Cardinals 1, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 27 9:14 PM
- Ty Wigginton single to left scored Troy Tulowitzki. Runner on first with one out and Ryan Spilborghs due up.
Cardinals 1, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 27 9:10 PM
- Albert Pujols single to right scored Jon Jay. Runner on first with one out and Lance Berkman due up.
Cardinals 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 27 8:46 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21