Rockies hammer Cards 15-4 in Nicasio's debutMay 29, 2011 - 6:30 AM
Nicasio (1-0) went seven innings, allowing one unearned run on six hits and two walks with two strikeouts for the Rockies, who snapped a four-game slide with an offensive output of 18 hits.
"The thing that I was the most impressed with was, to get the lead like he got and go out there and pound his fastball for strikes in the manner in which he did," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said about Nicasio.
Iannetta had a pair of two-run homers and finished with four hits while Ryan Spilborghs was also a big part of the offense with four RBI on three hits.
Allen Craig had a two-run single for the Cardinals, who suffered their third loss in eight games.
St. Louis starter Jaime Garcia (5-1) was handed his first loss of the season in a rough outing. He was pounded for 12 runs -- 11 earned -- on 11 hits and four walks with six strikeouts.
The Rockies started early with a six-run explosion in the first inning.
Eric Young ignited the rally with a single and stole second before Dexter Fowler walked.
Carlos Gonzalez singled to bring home Young and Troy Tulowitzki's infield hit plated Fowler. The Rockies kept the singles coming when Todd Helton lined a ball into right to load the bases with no outs.
After a Ty Wigginton strikeout, Spilborghs drew a walk to send Gonzalez home and Iannetta ripped a two-run single. Young came through with his second at-bat of the inning on an RBI single to end the scoring burst.
"I was leaving a lot of balls up and at this ballpark and with this team, they've got a great lineup, you can't really make that many mistakes," Garcia said about his performance.
Colorado tacked on a run for a 7-0 lead on Spilborghs' RBI grounder up the middle in the second inning.
The Rockies' offense continued to flourish by putting up a five-run fourth. Spilborghs' highlighted the rally with a two-run triple that was followed up by Iannetta's two-run homer.
St. Louis finally got on the board on Ryan Theriot's run-scoring groundout, but the Rockies got it back in the seventh on Alfredo Amezaga's sacrifice fly that plated Fowler.
Three runs were scored by the Cardinals in the eighth, but again, the Rockies responded with a two-run bottom half on Iannetta's second homer of the game to make up the final score.
Colorado is 8-2 during the last 10 games at home against St. Louis...The Rockies took a 80-79 edge in the all-time series...It was Iannetta's first multi-home run game...Young finished with three hits.
- ST. LOUIS: 4
May 28 10:17 PM
- Chris Iannetta one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (7) to left scored Ty Wigginton. Greg Reynolds due up.
Cardinals 4, Rockies 15 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 28 10:01 PM
- Allen Craig single to left center scored Jon Jay and Tyler Greene with none out. Runner on first and Colby Rasmus due up.
Cardinals 4, Rockies 13 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 28 9:51 PM
- Tyler Greene double to left center scored Peter Kozma with none out. On the play, Jon Jay advances to third. Runners on second and third and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 2, Rockies 13 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 28 9:49 PM
- Alfredo Amezaga sacrifice fly to right scored Dexter Fowler with two outs. Runner on first and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Cardinals 1, Rockies 13 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 28 9:41 PM
- Ryan Theriot ground out third to first scored Tony Cruz with two outs. None on and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 1, Rockies 12 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 28 8:58 PM
- Ryan Franklin enters the game for the Cardinals with none on and one out.
Cardinals 0, Rockies 12 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 28 8:49 PM
- Ryan Spilborghs triple to center scored Todd Helton and Ty Wigginton with one out. Runner on third and Chris Iannetta due up.
Cardinals 0, Rockies 10 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 28 8:47 PM
- Todd Helton grounded into a fielder's choice On the play, Carlos Gonzalez scored on Jaime Garcia's defensive interference with one out. Runner on second and Ty Wigginton due up.
Cardinals 0, Rockies 8 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 28 8:46 PM
- Ryan Spilborghs single to center scored Troy Tulowitzki with two outs. On the play, Todd Helton advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Iannetta due up.
Cardinals 0, Rockies 7 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 28 8:11 PM
- Eric Young Jr. single to left scored Ryan Spilborghs with two outs. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to second. Runners on first and second and Dexter Fowler due up.
Cardinals 0, Rockies 6 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 28 7:50 PM
- Chris Iannetta single to center scored Troy Tulowitzki and Todd Helton with one out. On the play, Ryan Spilborghs advances to third. Runners on first and third and Juan Nicasio due up.
Cardinals 0, Rockies 5 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 28 7:46 PM
- Ryan Spilborghs walked.in Carlos Gonzalez with one out. Bases loaded and Chris Iannetta due up.
Cardinals 0, Rockies 3 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 28 7:44 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki single to third scored Dexter Fowler with none out. Runners on first and second and Todd Helton due up.
Cardinals 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 28 7:33 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 28 7:14 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21