Bumgarner, Torres fuel Giants win over CardinalsMay 31, 2011 - 12:05 AM
Bumgarner (2-6) allowed two runs on six hits and two walks, while striking out five. It was his second win in three outings.
Torres added a double to finish 2-for-4, while Cody Ross hit a solo shot and scored twice for the Giants, who snapped a two-game losing streak.
Kyle McClellan (6-2) lasted just four innings in the loss, surrendering seven runs on seven hits and two walks.
Albert Pujols blasted his ninth home run of the season for the Cardinals, who have lost three of five.
The Giants, who largely rely on their pitching to deliver wins, received a boost with Ross' leadoff homer in the second.
Bumgarner helped himself with a ground-rule double in the third. He advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Torres and scored on Miguel Tejada's chopper up the middle, giving the Giants a 2-0 lead.
Undaunted, the Cardinals tied the game in the bottom of the third behind three straight two-out hits. Ryan Theriot prompted the rally with a double to left and scored on Allen Craig's subsequent double. Craig himself was plated on a Pujols single to right.
For St. Louis, the success was short lived, as San Francisco reeled off a five-run fourth inning to effectively put the game away. Ross led off with a walk, advanced to third on Aaron Rowand's 13th double of the season and crossed the plate on a Brandon Crawford single. Bumgarner then worked a walked before Torres deposited the first grand slam of his career into the right field bleachers.
After Bumgarner cruised through seven, Ramon Ramirez allowed a leadoff homer to Pujols in the eighth.
Sergio Romo threw a perfect ninth to seal the final margin.
Prior to Monday, the Giants had been shut out twice in their last four games...Bumgarner has had quality starts in each of his last seven outings...St. Louis was 3-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 7
ST. LOUIS: 3
May 30 7:07 PM
- Albert Pujols lead-off Home Run (9) to left center. Matt Holliday due up.
Giants 7, Cardinals 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 30 6:41 PM
- Miguel Tejada grounded out second to first. None on with two outs and Freddy Sanchez due up.
Giants 7, Cardinals 2 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 30 5:18 PM
- Brandon Crawford singled to right scoring Cody Ross. On the play, Aaron Rowand advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Eli Whiteside due up.
Giants 3, Cardinals 2 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 30 5:10 PM
- Albert Pujols singled to right scoring Allen Craig. Runner on second with two outs and Matt Holliday due up.
Giants 2, Cardinals 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 30 5:03 PM
- Miguel Tejada singled to center scoring Madison Bumgarner. Runner on first with one out and Freddy Sanchez due up.
Giants 2, Cardinals 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 30 4:46 PM
- Cody Ross lead-off Home Run (4) to center. Aaron Rowand due up.
Giants 1, Cardinals 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 30 4:30 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 30 4:15 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21