Cards edge GiantsJun 1, 2011 - 4:24 AM
Javier Lopez (2-1) gave up the winning run on two hits to take the loss, blowing five solid frames from Ryan Vogelsong, who gave up just one run on six hits. Cody Ross and Brandon Crawford each finished 2-for-4 for the Giants, who have lost three of four.
"We had some opportunities to add on, and we didn't do it. Then, they were hitting it were we couldn't catch it there in the eighth inning," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy.
Ryan Franklin (1-3) struck out the side in the eighth to claim the win, while Fernando Salas pitched around a two-out double to claim his 10th save. John Jay was 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI, while Albert Pujols celebrated his second start this season at third base with a 2-for-3 night that included a run scored and an RBI. The Cardinals have won two of three overall.
It all fell apart for the Giants in the eighth, as their bullpen couldn't cash in on Vogelsong's strong start. Jay pulled a double down the right-field line then Pujols ripped a run-scoring two-bagger to left. Lopez replaced Sergio Romo on the mound, but the Cardinals still tied the game one out later on Allen Craig's run-scoring double that found empty grass in right-center field. After a groundout, the Giants decided to intentionally walk Yadier Molina to face Schumaker.
He pulled a low-and-in pitch into the right-field hole that was corralled by Freddy Sanchez, but his throw didn't beat the fleet-footed Schumaker, allowing the go-ahead run to score.
"It was a good win. Their bullpen is very good," said Schumaker.
San Francisco got the tying run into scoring position on Nate Schierholtz's two-out double, but Salas struck out Emmanuel Burriss to end the game.
The Giants manufactured a run in the second off Carpenter, as Eli Whiteside's one-out single moved Crawford to third and he scored when the hurler Vogelsong bounced out to short.
St. Louis mustered a run of its own in the third with the pitcher in the thick of things. Carpenter singled on a bee-bee into center with one out and moved to second on a groundout. Jay's single to left would have brought a play at the plate, but the ball went past Pat Burrell's glove for a two-base error, allowing Carpenter to score easily.
Sanchez's one-out single to right-center field allowed Andres Torres to score the go-ahead tally in the fifth and the visitors added an insurance run in the seventh on Ross' RBI single.
Sanchez drove in his 18th run of the season, while Ross registered his 13th RBI for the Giants...Pujols has 31 runs batted in for the Cardinals. Before earlier this month, Pujols had not played third base since 2002...San Francisco outfielder Aaron Rowand did not start Tuesday after leaving Monday's game with a bruised right hip. He struck out in a pinch-hit appearance...Giants first baseman Brandon Belt left the game with a left wrist contusion.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 3
ST. LOUIS: 4
May 31 10:24 PM
- Skip Schumaker infield single to second scored Allen Craig. On the play, Yadier Molina advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Tyler Greene due up.
Giants 3, Cardinals 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 31 10:08 PM
- Colby Rasmus grounded out second to first. On the play, Allen Craig advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Yadier Molina due up.
Giants 3, Cardinals 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 31 10:05 PM
- Albert Pujols doubled to left scored Jon Jay. Runner on second with none out and Lance Berkman due up.
Giants 3, Cardinals 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 31 9:58 PM
- Cody Ross singled to center scored Nate Schierholtz. On the play, Brandon Belt advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Brandon Crawford due up.
Giants 3, Cardinals 1 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 31 9:40 PM
- Freddy Sanchez singled to center scored Andres Torres. Runner on first with one out and Pat Burrell due up.
Giants 2, Cardinals 1 Top 5, 1 OutMay 31 8:51 PM
- Jon Jay singled to left scored Chris Carpenter. On the play, Jay advances to third on Pat Burrell's fielding error. Runner on third with two outs and Albert Pujols due up.
Giants 1, Cardinals 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 31 8:17 PM
- Ryan Vogelsong grounded out, short to first scored Brandon Crawford. On the play, Eli Whiteside advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Andres Torres due up.
Giants 1, Cardinals 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 31 7:40 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 31 7:10 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21