Pujols homers in Cardinals' win over PiratesJul 23, 2011 - 4:54 AM
Yadier Molina went 3-for-4 with a solo home run for the Cardinals, who along with the Pirates are one game behind the first-place Milwaukee Brewers in the NL Central. The Brewers won in San Francisco Friday night.
Pujols finished 4-for-5 for the Cardinals, who have won back-to-back tilts on the heels of a three-game slide. Carpenter (6-7) earned the victory after allowing four runs on 10 hits and he also went 2-for-4 with an RBI at the plate.
"That was a nice win," said Carpenter. "We scored runs early and I was able to do what I needed to do to get deep in the game and give us a chance."
Fernando Salas allowed one hit in a scoreless ninth inning to record his 18th save.
Paul Maholm (6-10) was charged with the loss, surrendering five runs on 10 hits in six innings. It was just the third loss in eight decisions for Maholm, who had an RBI single in the setback.
"Early in the game he was leaving the rubber a little bit early. He wasn't quite getting the ball down as much as he wanted to," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said of Maholm's performance.
Michael McKenry had three hits for the Pirates, while Garrett Jones was 2-for-4 with two RBI. Ronny Cedeno, who was activated from the disabled list prior to the game, finished 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
The Pirates have dropped two in a row following a three-game winning streak.
After a 32-minute rain delay halted the start of the game, the Cardinals jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first. Jon Jay tripled with one out and came around on Pujols' 22nd home run of the season. Freese added another two-run homer after a Lance Berkman double to stake St. Louis to the early four-run advantage.
"Unfortunately, I made two bad pitches in the first," Maholm said.
Pittsburgh cut the deficit in half with two runs in the second. Jones started things with a two-out double and scored on Cedeno's single. Cedeno would later score on a single by Maholm to make it a 4-2 game.
Not to be outdone by Maholm, Carpenter pushed his club's lead to 5-2 with an RBI single of his own in the third.
The Pirates then scored a pair of runs in the sixth inning to make it a 5-4 game. Andrew McCutchen singled with one out and moved to third on a double by Lyle Overbay. Both runners would score on Jones' bloop single to left. Pittsburgh had a chance to tie the game with runners on first and third with two outs, but pinch-hitter Xavier Paul grounded out to end the threat.
Molina gave St. Louis an insurance run in the eighth, belting a solo homer to center to give the Cards a 6-4 advantage.
McKenry singled with one out in the ninth for Pittsburgh, but Salas struck out pinch-hitter Matt Diaz and got Alex Presley to line out to second to end the game.
Maholm was 4-0 with a 1.04 earned run average in his previous four home starts...Pujols has more home runs (27) at PNC Park than any other road stadium...Cedeno and fellow Pirates infielder Steve Pearce were activated from the disabled list today. To make room for the returning players, Pittsburgh optioned infielders Josh Harrison and Pedro Ciriaco to Triple-A Indianapolis on Thursday...Relief pitcher Jason Grilli was signed by the Bucs on Thursday and made his debut for the club by tossing a scoreless ninth. Grilli, who missed the entire 2010 season recovering from right knee surgery, was making his first MLB appearance since October 3. 2009...The Pirates are 24-15 against NL Central opponents this season, while St. Louis is 20-16 within the division.
- ST. LOUIS: 6
Jul 22 10:10 PM
- Yadier Molina two-out, solo Home Run (6) to center. Nick Punto due up.
Cardinals 6, Pirates 4 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 22 9:39 PM
- Ronny Cedeno singled to center. Runner on first with two outs and Michael McKenry due up.
Cardinals 5, Pirates 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 22 9:12 PM
- Chase d'Arnaud lined out to right. None on with two outs and Neil Walker due up.
Cardinals 5, Pirates 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 22 8:27 PM
- Paul Maholm single to center scored Ronny Cedeno with two out. On the play, Michael McKenry out at third, center to third to end the inning.
Cardinals 4, Pirates 2 End 2Jul 22 8:13 PM
- Ronny Cedeno single to left scored Garrett Jones with two out. Runner on first and Michael McKenry due up.
Cardinals 4, Pirates 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 22 8:10 PM
- David Freese two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Lance Berkman. Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 4, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 22 7:44 PM
- Albert Pujols one-out, two-run Home Run (22) to center scored Jon Jay. Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 2, Pirates 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 22 7:41 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 22 7:36 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21