Dodgers get 4 HRs in rout of CardinalsAug 24, 2011 - 5:44 AM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - Rod Barajas finished 3-for-5, hit a pair of homers and knocked in four runs, as Los Angeles ripped St. Louis, 13-2, in the second of three between the clubs at Busch Stadium.
Matt Kemp clubbed a three-run shot and Aaron Miles added a two-run homer for the Dodgers, who won for the fourth time in six games thanks to their first double-digit performance since June 27 at Minnesota.
Justin Sellers and Jamey Carroll each contributed three hits for Los Angeles.
Clayton Kershaw (16-5) turned in six scoreless innings, fanning eight and walking two while scattering six hits.
The left-hander won for the eighth time in his last nine starts and turned in consecutive scoreless outings for the first time all season. He's tied with Ian Kennedy of Arizona for the NL lead in wins.
"I was fortunate to get that run support. It's awesome," Kershaw said. "You don't want to take those nights for granted. I think everybody kind of relaxes when you get that eight-run lead early."
Ryan Theriot and Jon Jay drove in late runs for the Cardinals, who have lost six of their last eight and tumbled 10 games behind the first-place Brewers in the NL Central. Milwaukee pounded Pittsburgh, 11-4, earlier Tuesday.
Kyle Lohse (11-8) departed after three innings, charged in defeat for eight hits and a season-high eight runs.
"It was just one of those nights they hit everything I threw," Lohse said. "A lot of balls that just came back over the plate."
LA got started right away with three in the first. Sellers singled, James Loney walked and Kemp cleared the wall in center for a 3-0 lead.
The visitors increased that edge to 7-0 in the second. Carroll singled with one out, Kershaw sacrificed him to second and Sellers doubled him in. Loney drove in Sellers with a base hit and Juan Rivera plated two with his single.
Barajas took a Lohse offering to left with one out in the third, and the rout was on in the fifth against Mitchell Boggs as Ethier walked with one out, Miles reached on an error and Barajas clubbed his second shot of the game -- a three-run blast -- to left for an 11-0 Dodgers lead.
Skip Schumaker served up a long two-run homer to the ex-Cardinal Miles in the ninth which accounted for the visitors' final total. Theriot's fielder's choice grounder and a Jay single in the home ninth capped the scoring.
Kershaw reached the 200-strikeout plateau, the seventh-fastest by date in team history after Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale (August, 1963), and tied with Dazzy Vance (1924) for sixth fastest in number of starts (27)...He also became the first pitcher to record back-to-back 200-plus strikeout seasons before his 24th birthday since Dwight Gooden (1984-86)...Schumaker, who tossed the ninth inning, became the first Cardinals non-pitcher to record a strikeout since Rod Brewer on July 21, 1993 in a 14-2 loss at Atlanta.
- LOS ANGELES: 13
ST. LOUIS: 2
Aug 23 11:15 PM
- Jon Jay single to left scored David Freese with one out. On the play, Ryan Theriot advances to second. Runners on first and second and Rafael Furcal due up.
Dodgers 13, Cardinals 2 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 23 11:14 PM
- Ryan Theriot grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second, scoring Corey Patterson with one out. Skip Schumaker out at second. David Freese advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jon Jay due up.
Dodgers 13, Cardinals 1 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 23 11:10 PM
- Rod Barajas flied out to center. None on with two outs and Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 13, Cardinals 0 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 23 10:57 PM
- Jamey Carroll infield single to short. Runner on first with one out and Clayton Kershaw due up.
Dodgers 11, Cardinals 0 Top 5, 1 OutAug 23 9:46 PM
- Rod Barajas one-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 8, Cardinals 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 23 9:03 PM
- Juan Rivera single to center scored James Loney and Matt Kemp with two outs. Runner on first and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 7, Cardinals 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 23 8:48 PM
- James Loney single to center scored Justin Sellers with two outs. Runner on first and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 5, Cardinals 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 23 8:45 PM
- Justin Sellers double to left scored Jamey Carroll with two outs. Runner on second and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 4, Cardinals 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 23 8:43 PM
- Matt Kemp none-out, three-run Home Run (29) to center scored Justin Sellers and James Loney. Juan Rivera due up.
Dodgers 3, Cardinals 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 23 8:21 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 8:15 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22