Dodgers rip Garcia to complete sweep of CardinalsAug 25, 2011 - 12:12 AM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - Juan Rivera hit a two-run homer and drove in two as the Los Angeles Dodgers took a 9-4 win over the St. Louis Cardinals to sweep a three-game series.
A.J. Ellis hit a solo home run and drove in two while Matt Kemp scored twice and drove in two runs for the Dodgers, who came into the series having lost two of three to the Rockies. Hiroki Kuroda (10-14) was solid in seven innings to win his third straight start, as he gave up just three runs on eight hits with a walk and four strikeouts.
This was LA's first road three-game sweep of the Cardinals since August 20-22, 1993.
Gerald Laird hit a two-run homer and Skip Schumaker went 4-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored for the Cardinals, who have lost five of their last six games. Jaime Garcia (10-7) dropped his third straight decision after allowing seven runs on nine hits over just five innings.
"When you get swept at home it's as bad as it gets," said Cardinals manager Tony La Russa. "I don't think I have to tell you guys that we have to reverse things around here."
After Schumaker singled home Matt Holliday in the second, the Dodgers scored six times in the third.
Kemp got the scoring started with a two-run single, and crossed the plate when Rivera followed with a double. A Casey Blake single scored Rivera, with Blake moving to second on an error on the play, and James Loney followed with a ground-rule double to plate him. After Jamey Carroll singled, Ellis made it a 6-1 game with a single to left.
Ellis hit a solo blast in the fifth, the first of his career, while Rivera smacked a two-run shot in the sixth for a 9-1 lead.
"It's always good to be part of the merry-go-round when it's going," said Ellis.
Schumaker led off the seventh with a single and Laird followed with his first home run of the season to make it a six-run game, but St. Louis was unable to make up the difference. Allen Craig's pinch-hit RBI double in the ninth completed the scoring.
The Dodgers outscored the Cardinals 24-7 in the series...The Dodgers won the season series, 4-3...The Cardinals host the Pirates for four games starting on Thursday...The Dodgers, who went 5-5 on their road trip, return home to face Colorado for three games starting on Friday.
- LOS ANGELES: 9
ST. LOUIS: 4
Aug 24 5:13 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Allen Craig ground-rule double to center scored Gerald Laird. Runner on second with two outs and Jon Jay due up.
Dodgers 9, Cardinals 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 24 5:12 PM
- Gerald Laird none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Skip Schumaker. Daniel Descalso due up.
Dodgers 9, Cardinals 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 24 4:29 PM
- Juan Rivera two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Matt Kemp. Casey Blake due up.
Dodgers 9, Cardinals 1 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 24 4:09 PM
- A.J. Ellis two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Hiroki Kuroda due up.
Dodgers 7, Cardinals 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 24 3:47 PM
- A.J. Ellis single to left scored James Loney. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Hiroki Kuroda due up.
Dodgers 6, Cardinals 1 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 24 3:11 PM
- James Loney ground-rule double to right scored Casey Blake. Runner on second with none out and Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 5, Cardinals 1 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 24 3:09 PM
- Casey Blake singled to center scored Juan Rivera. On the play, Casey Blake advances to second on Jon Jay's throwing error. Runner on second with none out and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 4, Cardinals 1 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 24 3:08 PM
- Juan Rivera double to center scored Matt Kemp. Runner on second with none out and Casey Blake due up.
Dodgers 3, Cardinals 1 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 24 3:06 PM
- Matt Kemp single to center scored Justin Sellers and Tony Gwynn Jr. Runner on first with none out and Juan Rivera due up.
Dodgers 2, Cardinals 1 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 24 3:04 PM
- Skip Schumaker single to right scored Matt Holliday. Runner on first with one out and Gerald Laird due up.
Dodgers 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 24 2:48 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 24 2:17 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22