Kuroda shines as Dodgers handle PadresApr 10, 2011 - 7:44 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Hiroki Kuroda got every out but the final one to help the Los Angeles Dodgers take a 4-0 win over the San Diego Padres.
This game, which last two hours and 49 minutes, was a far cry from Friday's contest that saw 3 1/2 hours of rain delays before finally being postponed close to 2 a.m. local time. The game was finished prior to Saturday's scheduled contest with Tony Gwynn Jr. driving home the game-winning run in the 11th to give the Dodgers a 4-2 win.
Kuroda (2-0) gave up six hits and two walks with four strikeouts before leaving the game with one out in the ninth after throwing 117 pitches. Jonathan Broxton got the final out of the game to pick up his fifth save of the season.
"He had the fastball, had the tight little slider, and had the split-finger," Padres manager Bud Black said of Kuroda. "He was locating, keeping the ball down. We just couldn't get any balls up in the air against him."
Andre Ethier hit a solo home run and finished the game 3-for-5 with two RBI while Casey Blake drove in a run for the Dodgers, who had dropped three of four prior to the wins on Saturday.
"Yesterday was a long day for us, for both teams," Ethier said. "We had an opportunity today to come back and try to win a series in one day."
Dustin Moseley (0-2) was touched for three runs -- two earned -- on eight hits with three walks over six innings of work for the Padres, who have dropped three straight and four of five.
In the first, Gwynn led off with a double, moved to third on a sac bunt from Blake and crossed the plate on an Ethier single for a 1-0 lead.
The fifth saw Los Angeles add to its advantage as Ethier hit a solo home run and Matt Kemp, who reached base on an infield single, came home on an Uribe fly ball to left field that saw Chris Denorfia misplay the ball for a 3-0 advantage.
San Diego's only hit through the first six innings was Orlando Hudson's single in the fourth.
The Padres loaded the bases with one out in the seventh, but Denorfia hit into a double play to end the frame.
Blake hit an RBI single in the eighth for a 4-0 lead.
Kuroda had two outs in the bottom of the ninth, but left the game after singles from Brad Hawpe and Chase Headley. Broxton took the mound and walked Denorfia to load the bases, but then struck out Cameron Maybin to end the game.
John Ely takes the mound for the Dodgers on Sunday and will be opposed by Aaron Harang for San Diego...The Dodgers stranded 14 men on base...Hawpe and Headley each had two hits.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
SAN DIEGO: 2
Apr 9 9:56 PM
- Pat Neshek's wild pitch scored Aaron Miles with two out. On the play, Tony Gwynn Jr. advanced to third. Runner on third and Jamey Carroll at the plate.
Dodgers 4, Padres 2 Top 11, 2 OutsApr 9 9:41 PM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. singled to right scoring Juan Uribe with two out. Runners on second and third and Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 3, Padres 2 Top 11, 2 OutsApr 9 9:39 PM
- Matt Kemp singled to left scored Casey Blake. Runners on first and second with one out and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 2 Top 6, 1 OutApr 9 2:09 AM
- Ryan Ludwick grounded out short to first scored Orlando Hudson. Runner on third with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 9 1:55 AM
- Orlando Hudson singled to center scored Will Venable. Runner on first with one out and Jorge Cantu due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 1 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 9 1:46 AM
- Matt Kemp stole second. Casey Blake stole third. Casey Blake scored on Nick Hundley's throwing error. Runner on second with one out and Juan Uribe at the plate.
Dodgers 1, Padres 0 Top 4, 1 OutApr 9 1:11 AM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 8 10:34 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21