Astros upend Latos, PadresApr 17, 2011 - 2:14 AM
Chris Johnson had a two-run homer to tie the game in the fourth as the Astros took a 2-1 lead in the series.
Mark Melancon got the win (1-0) by recording the final out in the seventh. Houston starting pitcher Nelson Figueroa went 6 2/3 innings allowing three runs -- two earned -- on six hits and struck out five.
Chase Headley had two doubles and two RBI for the Padres, who got 6 1/3 innings from starting pitcher Mat Latos (0-2). He gave up all five runs on four hits while fanning six.
With the game deadlocked at three apiece in the seventh, Latos was chased off the mound following two straight walks. Chad Qualls came on and retired Humberto Quintero on a fielder's choice before serving up an RBI single to Inglett to give the Padres a 4-3 lead.
Qualls then loaded the bases with a Michael Bourn walk and Angel Sanchez hit a deep grounder to short which Alberto Gonzalez couldn't make a play on. Quintero scored on the play to give the Astros a two-run cushion. The San Diego reliever, though, got out of the jam with a knee-buckling curveball to Hunter Pence for a third strike.
Houston kept the lead as Jeff Fulchino came in to get a 1-2-3 eighth inning and Brandon Lyon entered in the ninth to get his third save of the season.
Figueroa was tagged for two runs in the first on Headley's two-run double off the top of the hill in center to plate both Venable and Orlando Hudson.
Houston, though, got a run back in the home half on Pence's RBI double that sailed deep into left center.
Headley blasted another deep double, this time to left, to lead off the fourth. Brad Hawpe then brought him around on a line-drive single up the middle for a 3-1 lead.
The Astros answered back during the bottom of the inning to tie it up when Chris Johnson lifted a shot over the left field fence to score Carlos Lee, who reached on a one-out single.
Latos was 2-0 against Houston coming into Saturday's start...Hudson went 0- for-3 to snap an 11-game hitting streak in the loss...He did get a walk and has reached base safely in all 14 games this season.
- SAN DIEGO: 3
Apr 16 9:41 PM
- Angel Sanchez singled to short scored Humberto Quintero. Bases loaded with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Padres 3, Astros 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 16 9:12 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Joe Inglett single to center scored Chris Johnson. Runners on first and second with two outs and Michael Bourn due up.
Padres 3, Astros 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 16 9:10 PM
- Chris Johnson two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Carlos Lee, two-out. Matt Downs due up.
Padres 3, Astros 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 16 8:12 PM
- Brad Hawpe single to center scored Chase Headley. Runner on first with none out and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 3, Astros 1 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 16 8:01 PM
- Hunter Pence double to center scored Michael Bourn. Runner on second with one out and Carlos Lee due up.
Padres 2, Astros 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 16 7:29 PM
- Chase Headley double to center scored Will Venable and Orlando Hudson. Runner on second with one out and Brad Hawpe due up.
Padres 2, Astros 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 16 7:14 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 16 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21