Gwynn saves the day as Dodgers down PadresApr 30, 2011 - 6:03 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Late-inning replacement Tony Gwynn made a diving catch to save a near collapse from closer Jonathan Broxton, as the Dodgers held on for a 3-2 win over San Diego.
Juan Uribe hit the go-ahead homer in the fourth inning and Andre Ethier extended his major league record for the longest April hitting streak to 25 games for Los Angeles.
Ethier doubled to right field in the fifth inning. It's the longest hitting streak in the majors since Victor Martinez had a 25-game run from August 28 - September 26, 2009. Ethier's 25-game string is tied for the second-longest in Los Angeles Dodgers history with Willie Davis holding the record at 31 contests from August 1 - September 3, 1969.
"In the fifth I was looking for a sinking fastball, I put a good swing on it and turned it over," Ethier said. "I'm enjoying every moment of this."
Broxton, who managed to get his sixth save, nearly blew the opportunity in the ninth. He retired the first two batters, but Will Venable singled, was allowed to advance to second and then scored on Orlando Hudson's base hit to left. Chase Headley grounded a single to right field to put runners at the corners.
Nick Hundley was up next and drilled the first pitch, with the ball tailing to the left field line. Gwynn raced over and dove to make the game-ending grab.
"Tony made a great catch," LA's Matt Kemp said. "When Tony gets in the game, he makes things happen."
Ted Lilly (2-2) got the win, allowing five hits over six innings. Clayton Richard (1-2) yielded eight hits over 5 2/3 frames to suffer the loss.
"Clayton threw the ball well, it was a good matchup with Lilly," Padres manager Bud Black said. "We had good stuff at the end. Nick hit the ball hard. I thought it was going to the corner, but Gwynn made a great play."
Jamey Carroll doubled to start the bottom of the first and scored on Ethier's groundout.
Hundley singled in Headley in the third, but the Dodgers went ahead with one out in the fourth on Uribe's homer to center.
The Dodgers wasted a bases loaded chance in the sixth and the Padres left a runner at third in the seventh. LA extended its lead in the bottom half on Kemp's homer to left-center field.
"I was looking for something to square up, it was a curveball and I put a good swing on it," Kemp said.
Hundley was caught in a rundown between second and third to end the top of the eighth.
Dodgers infielder Casey Blake was put on the 15-day disabled list Friday due to an infection in his left elbow. Blake could miss four weeks. The Dodgers also recalled infielder Russell Mitchell from Triple-A Albuquerque Friday...Paul Lo Duca (2003), Davis (1971) and Steve Sax (1986) also had 25- game hitting streaks for the Dodgers...LA went 0-for-7 with men in scoring position and stranded 11 base runners.
- SAN DIEGO: 2
LOS ANGELES: 3
Apr 30 1:18 AM
- Chase Headley singled to right. Runners on first and third with two outs and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 2, Dodgers 3 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 30 1:17 AM
- Matt Kemp two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left center. Juan Uribe due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 30 12:31 AM
- Juan Uribe one-out, solo Home Run (3) to center. Marcus Thames due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 2 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 29 11:27 PM
- Nick Hundley singled to left scored Chase Headley. Runner on first with none out and Clayton Richard due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 1 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 29 10:57 PM
- Andre Ethier grounded out short to first scored Jamey Carroll. None on with two outs and Matt Kemp due up.
Padres 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 29 10:23 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 29 10:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21