Rocky Mountain Arsenal: Colorado powers past PadresMay 14, 2011 - 6:51 AM
Jorge De La Rosa (5-1) managed to snag the win despite giving up nine hits and five runs in 5 2/3 innings.
The Rockies, who scored five times over the first two innings before adding three insurance runs in the eighth, snapped a two-game skid and won for just the second time in eight games.
"You knew it was coming," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said of the outburst.
Cameron Maybin had a 4-for-4 night with a pair of homers and three RBI for the Padres. Dustin Moseley (1-5) allowed nine hits and six runs in four innings to suffer the loss.
"[Moseley] got some breaking balls up in the strike zone that they took advantage of. He just couldn't get in a groove whatsoever," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Maybin's two-run blast to right field in the seventh brought San Diego within 9-7, but the Rockies got those scores back and more in the following inning.
Dexter Fowler's pinch-hit single plated Carlos Gonzalez. Fowler went to third on a groundout and scored when left fielder Ryan Ludwick dropped a warning- track fly ball off the bat of Ryan Spilborghs. A balk from Ernesto Frieri scored Spilborghs.
The Padres were retired in order in the ninth inning.
Tulowitzki singled home two runs and Todd Helton's base hit scored another in the first before Maybin homered leading off the second.
An error led to another Colorado run in the second before Ludwick singled in a run in the top of the fourth for a 5-2 margin.
Tulowitzki's 10th homer of the year, a shot left in the fourth, widened the lead.
After giving up a Jason Bartlett RBI single in the top of the fifth, De La Rosa was credited with an RBI in the bottom half on a fielder's choice to drive in Ty Wigginton. Seth Smith added an RBI single.
Alberto Gonzalez doubled in a run to key San Diego's sixth before Spilborghs singled in Helton in the bottom half for a 9-5 difference.
Wigginton was activated from the 15-day disabled list prior to the game. He hadn't played since April 28 due to an oblique strain. The Rockies made room on the roster by optioning infielder Ian Stewart to Triple-A Colorado Springs. He has just three hits in 47 at-bats for the parent club this year...The Padres came into this game with an 11 2/3-inning scoreless streak for the bullpen. The San Diego relievers allowed four runs in as many innings on Friday.
- SAN DIEGO: 7
May 13 11:55 PM
- Chris Iannetta popped out to short to end the inning.
Padres 7, Rockies 12 End 8May 13 11:47 PM
- Ryan Spilborghs reached third on Ryan Ludwick's fielding error scored Dexter Fowler. Runner on third with two outs and Chris Iannetta due up.
Padres 7, Rockies 11 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 13 11:43 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Dexter Fowler doubled to scored Carlos Gonzalez. Runner on second with one out and Ty Wigginton due up.
Padres 7, Rockies 10 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 13 11:38 PM
- Cameron Maybin two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (5) to right scored Chase Headley. Ryan Ludwick due up.
Padres 7, Rockies 9 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 13 11:08 PM
- Ryan Spilborghs singled to short scored Todd Helton. Runner on first with one out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Padres 5, Rockies 9 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 13 10:58 PM
- Brad Hawpe is pinch hitting for Evan Scribner.
Padres 5, Rockies 8 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 13 10:46 PM
- Rob Johnson grounded out short to first scored Cameron Maybin. On the play, Ryan Ludwick advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Alberto Gonzalez due up.
Padres 4, Rockies 8 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 13 10:42 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez flied out to left. Bases loaded with two outs and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 13 10:29 PM
- Jason Bartlett singled to right scored Alberto Gonzalez.. Runner on first with two outs and Jorge Cantu due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 6 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 13 10:17 PM
- Todd Helton struck out swinging to end the inning.
Padres 2, Rockies 6 End 4May 13 10:06 PM
- Ryan Ludwick singled to center scored Chase Headley. On the play, Cameron Maybin advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Rob Johnson due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 5 Top 4, 1 OutMay 13 9:54 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez tripled to center scored Jonathan Herrera, scores on Jason Bartlett's throwing error. None on with one out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 5 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 13 9:26 PM
- Cameron Maybin lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Ryan Ludwick due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 3 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 13 9:13 PM
- Todd Helton singled to right scored Troy Tulowitzki.. Runner on first with one out and Ty Wigginton due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 3 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 13 9:01 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki singled to center scored Seth Smith and Carlos Gonzalez. Runner on first with one out and Todd Helton due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 13 8:58 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 13 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22