Hawpe haunts ex-mates as Padres rally past RockiesMay 15, 2011 - 2:04 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Brad Hawpe capped off San Diego's big rally with a two-run homer in the ninth inning, as the Padres came back from a six-run deficit to beat the Rockies, 9-7, in the second test of a three-game series.
Ex-Rockie Hawpe went 3-for-5 with three runs scored for the Padres, who bounced back from a 12-7 loss in the opener of this series on Friday. Eric Patterson also drove in two runs.
Aaron Harang lasted just 4 1/3 innings, allowing seven runs on nine hits. Mike Adams (2-0) tossed a scoreless eighth to pick up the win.
Carlos Gonzalez and Todd Helton each hit solo homers for the Rockies, who have lost three of four. Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki each knocked in two runs in defeat.
Jhoulys Chacin went six-plus frames in the start for Colorado, giving up five runs -- three earned -- on five hits. Huston Street (0-1) gave up the homer to Hawpe to take the loss.
"It's on us as a staff. We didn't make our pitches and execute down the stretch," Street said of the bullpen giving up the lead.
Down 7-1, the Padres got back in the game with a four-run seventh. A pair of walks and a single loaded the bases with nobody out. Patterson then hit a grounder back to Chacin, who failed to field to the ball cleanly. His throw to first was way off the mark, and two runs scored on the play. Matt Lindstrom came in from the bullpen and gave up an RBI infield single to Chris Denorfia. Jason Bartlett hit a sacrifice fly two batters later to cut the gap to 7-5.
San Diego added two more runs in the eighth to tie the game. Rafael Betancourt gave up consecutive singles to Hawpe and Cameron Maybin to put men on the corners, and Ryan Ludwick followed with a sacrifice fly. A balk by Betancourt put Maybin on second, and he crossed the plate on Patterson's base hit to center.
Hawpe put the Padres in front in the ninth. With a man on first and two outs, Hawpe smacked Street's offering over the wall in right for a 9-7 lead.
Heath Bell tossed a perfect home ninth for his 100th career save.
"I've been thinking about that moment for several months now," Hawpe said about homering against his former team. "It ranks up there as a good feeling for me as far as baseball goes."
The Padres got on the board in the second. Hawpe and Maybin led off the frame with consecutive singles, and two batters later, Kyle Phillips hit an RBI single to center.
Colorado failed to score with the bases loaded in the home second, but scored four times in the third. Dexter Fowler walked, moved to second on Jonathan Herrera's bunt single and crossed the plate on Gonzalez's base hit. Tulowitzki followed with a two-run double to left-center field, but was thrown out while trying to stretch the hit into a triple. Helton then hit a solo homer to center for a 4-1 lead.
Gonzalez's solo homer to right in the fourth gave the Rockies a four-run margin.
Colorado tacked on two more runs in the fifth for a 7-1 lead. Helton walked and Seth Smith hit a ground-rule double to left to put men on second and third. Ty Wigginton followed with an RBI single. Chris Iannetta plated Smith with a sacrifice fly.
Chacin retired 12 straight batters before giving up a one-out double to Bartlett in the sixth. But San Diego got to Chacin in the seventh.
Colorado won 12 of its 18 matchups with the Padres last season...Padres reliever Luke Gregerson celebrated his 27th birthday on Saturday. Gregerson pitched a scoreless inning of relief...San Diego third baseman Chase Headley left the game in the fifth inning with an ankle injury...The Padres went 3- for-14 with runners in scoring position.
- SAN DIEGO: 9
May 14 6:16 PM
- Brad Hawpe two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Jorge Cantu. Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 9, Rockies 7 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 14 6:07 PM
- Eric Patterson singled to center scored Cameron Maybin. Runner on first with two outs and Luke Gregerson due up.
Padres 7, Rockies 7 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 14 5:48 PM
- Ryan Ludwick sacrifice fly out to right scored Brad Hawpe. Runner on first with one out and Kyle Phillips due up.
Padres 6, Rockies 7 Top 8, 1 OutMay 14 5:38 PM
- Jason Bartlett sacrifice fly out to right scored Eric Patterson. Runner on first with two outs and Jorge Cantu due up.
Padres 5, Rockies 7 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 14 5:25 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Denorfia infield single to third scored Kyle Phillips. On the play, Eric Patterson advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Will Venable due up.
Padres 4, Rockies 7 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 14 5:21 PM
- Eric Patterson reached second on Jhoulys Chacin's fielding error scored Cameron Maybin. On the play, Kyle Phillips advances to third and Ryan Ludwick scored on Jhoulys Chacin's thorwing error. Runners on second and third with none out and Cory Luebke due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 7 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 14 5:19 PM
- Chris Iannetta sacrifice fly out to right scored Seth Smith. Runner on first with one out and Jhoulys Chacin due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 7 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 14 4:39 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki struck out looking to end the inning.
Padres 1, Rockies 5 End 4May 14 4:25 PM
- Todd Helton one-out, solo Home Run (5) to center. Seth Smith due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 4 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 14 4:04 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki doubled to left scored Jonathan Herrera and Carlos Gonzalez. On the play, Tulowitzki was thrown out at third, left to short to third. None on with one out and Todd Helton due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 3 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 14 4:03 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez singled to left scored Dexter Fowler. On the play, Jonathan Herrera advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 14 4:00 PM
- Kyle Phillips singled to center scored Brad Hawpe. On the play, Cameron Maybin advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Eric Patterson due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 14 3:30 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 14 3:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22