Ludwick, Latos lead Padres over RockiesMay 15, 2011 - 10:22 PM
Jason Bartlett doubled in a pair during a five-run seventh, padding the lead behind Latos (1-5), who was winless in 11 starts dating back to last season.
The 23-year-old right-hander, a 14-game winner last year, was charged with two runs -- one earned -- on four hits and three walks over 5 2/3 innings.
Jason Hammel (3-3) gave up a season-high six runs in his 6 1/3-inning start for the Rockies, giving up six hits and three walks in the loss.
With San Diego trailing, 1-0, in the fourth, Ludwick took the first pitch he saw over the left-field fence, bringing in Jorge Cantu and Brad Hawpe in the process.
Todd Helton's third home run in four games cut the deficit to 3-2 in the sixth, but the Padres widened the gap in the seventh.
Ludwick fouled out to start the inning, and the next five hitters reached base with hits. Chase Headley and Will Venable each drove in a run and came around on Bartlett's two-bagger to left off Felipe Paulino.
Hawpe capped the explosion with an RBI single, and a bullpen effort comprised of Chad Qualls, Cory Luebke, Luke Gregerson and Ernesto Frieri silenced the Rockies' bats behind Latos, sending Colorado to its eight loss in 10 games.
Eric Patterson's throwing error in the first inning allowed Seth Smith to come around and score the game's first run.
The Padres have won three of four overall...The Rockies went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position...Hammel has lasted at least six innings in each of his last seven starts.
- SAN DIEGO: 8
May 15 6:04 PM
- Brad Hawpe singled to center scored Jason Bartlett.. Runner on first with two outs and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 8, Rockies 2 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 15 5:26 PM
- Jason Bartlett doubled to left scored Chase Headley and Will Venable. Runner on second with one out and Jorge Cantu due up.
Padres 7, Rockies 2 Top 7, 1 OutMay 15 5:21 PM
- Will Venable doubled to left scored Rob Johnson. On the play, Chase Headley advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Jason Bartlett due up.
Padres 5, Rockies 2 Top 7, 1 OutMay 15 5:16 PM
- Franklin Morales enters the game for the Rockies with runners on first and second and one out, batting 9th,
Padres 4, Rockies 2 Top 7, 1 OutMay 15 5:15 PM
- Ty Wigginton struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Jose Lopez due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 15 4:56 PM
- Eric Patterson walked. Runner on first with one out and Rob Johnson due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 1 Top 4, 1 OutMay 15 4:17 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki grounded into a fielder's choice, advances to second on Eric Patterson's throwing error. Carlos Gonzalez out at second. Seth Smith scored. Runner on second with two outs and Todd Helton due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 15 3:30 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 3:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22