Padres hold off AstrosJun 5, 2011 - 5:46 AM
Aaron Harang (6-2) went 6 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on six hits and two walks as the Padres won consecutive games at home for the first time since September 24-25 of last season.
"It was good to see contributions from a number of guys as we move down the order," said San Diego manager Bud Black.
Aneury Rodriguez (0-3) was denied his first major league win again, allowing three runs on five hits and three walks through six innings for the Astros, who dropped their second game in a row after a four-game win streak.
"He worked out of some jams where they could have come up with a hit and really extended the innings," said Houston manager Brad Mills about his starting pitcher.
Chase Headley singled with two outs in the first and was followed by a Ryan Ludwick double before both were brought home by a double from Hawpe to give the Padres a 2-0 advantage.
Houston got a run back in the second when Chris Johnson scored on a Logan Forsythe fielding error. Chris Johnson was hit by a pitch to start the inning and advanced to third on a single by Brett Wallace before scoring on the error.
The Astros then tied the game in the third when Clint Barmes led off the inning with a home run over the left-field wall.
San Diego took the lead right back in the bottom half of the inning after Ludwick worked a two-out walk and Hawpe earned a free pass himself before Forsythe doubled to left to plate Ludwick. Alberto Gonzalez was then hit by a pitch to load the bases, but Rob Johnson lined out to left to end the inning and keep the score 3-2.
The Padres extended their lead in the eighth after Ludwick was awarded first on catcher's interference and was followed by a Hawpe walk. After Forsythe struck out, Gonzalez hit a sharp grounder through the middle of the infield that scored Ludwick and allowed Gonzalez to take second on the throw home. Rob Johnson then knocked in two more with a single of his own to give the Padres a 6-2 lead.
Ernesto Frieri allowed the first two batters in the ninth to reach base when he walked Angel Sanchez and gave up a single to pinch-hitter Matt Downs. Frieri was then replaced by Heath Bell on the mound.
Bell got Jason Michaels to pop out to third before Michael Bourn hit a line- drive double to left that dropped right in front of a diving Chris Denorfia. Sanchez scored on the hit, which put the tying run on second. But Barmes struck out swinging and Hunter Pence flew out to right to end the game and Bell earned his 16th save of the year.
Headley extended his career-high hit streak to 14 games...Pence extended his hit streak to 16 games...San Diego is just 11-21 at home this season...Bourn is four stolen bases shy of 200 for his career.
- HOUSTON: 3
SAN DIEGO: 6
Jun 4 11:20 PM
- Michael Bourn double to left scored Angel Sanchez with one out. On the play, Matt Downs advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Clint Barmes due up.
Astros 3, Padres 6 Top 9, 1 OutJun 4 11:18 PM
- Rob Johnson single to left scored Brad Hawpe and Alberto Gonzalez with two out. Runner on first and Mike Adams due up.
Astros 2, Padres 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 4 11:02 PM
- Alberto Gonzalez single to center scored Ryan Ludwick with two out. On the play, Brad Hawpe advanced to third and Alberto Gonzalez advanced to second on the throw home. Runners on second and third and Rob Johnson due up.
Astros 2, Padres 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 4 10:59 PM
- Logan Forsythe double to left scored Ryan Ludwick with two out. On the play, Brad Hawpe advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Alberto Gonzalez due up.
Astros 2, Padres 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 4 9:33 PM
- Clint Barmes lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Hunter Pence due up.
Astros 2, Padres 2 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 4 9:18 PM
- J.R. Towles reached first on Logan Forsythe's fielding error scoring Chris Johnson with one out. On the play, Brett Wallace advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Aneury Rodriguez due up.
Astros 1, Padres 2 Top 2, 1 OutJun 4 9:02 PM
- Brad Hawpe double to right scored Chase Headley and Ryan Ludwick with two out. Runner on second and Logan Forsythe due up.
Astros 0, Padres 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 4 8:53 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 4 8:35 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21