Padres get 3rd straight win over AstrosJun 6, 2011 - 4:41 AM
Bartlett finished with three hits and two runs scored for San Diego, which took the final three games after dropping Thursday's series opener.
Padres starter Mat Latos (4-6) allowed two runs, six hits and two walks in five innings. Four relievers combined to limit Houston to three hits the rest of the way.
San Diego manager Bud Black likes what he's seen from his team lately.
"I'm seeing the defense tighten up a little bit, I'm seeing us swinging the bats much better. The starting pitching has bounced back, our bullpen has remained constant. When those things occur, you're going to have success," he said.
Houston's Jordan Lyles (0-1), making his second career start, yielded four runs on five hits over four innings to take the loss.
"They made me pay for my mistakes," said Lyles. "On top of that, I didn't really feel good throwing the ball over the plate."
Trailing by two runs, the Astros put men on the corners in the seventh. But Chad Qualls escaped the jam by striking out Hunter Pence and retiring Carlos Lee on a fly ball to left field.
San Diego loaded the bases in the bottom of the inning and Alberto Gonzalez delivered a two-out, two-run single off Houston's Wilton Lopez to make it a 6-2 game.
The Padres picked up another run in the eighth on a passed ball by Mark Melancon.
The game could not have gotten off to a worse start for Lyles. The 20-year-old gave up a leadoff single to Chris Denorfia and Bartlett found the gap in left- center. Lyle then hit Ryan Ludwick on a pitch that would've been ball four before Brad Hawpe stroked an RBI single. A third run scored on a fielder's choice by Aaron Cunningham.
After Lee singled home Michael Bourn in the third, San Diego third baseman Chase Headley extended his career-high hitting streak to 15 games with a run- scoring double in the bottom of the frame.
Pence stroked an RBI single in the fifth, trimming Houston's deficit to 4-2.
San Diego has now won eight of its last 11 games...The Astros finished 4-3 on their seven-game road trip...Pence extended his hitting streak to a personal best 17 games...Lyles is the youngest active player in the majors.
- HOUSTON: 2
SAN DIEGO: 7
Jun 5 9:49 PM
- Jason Bartlett advances to second on a passed ball. On the play, Chris Denorfia scores on a passed ball. Runner on second with one out and Chase Headley at the plate.
Astros 2, Padres 7 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 5 9:39 PM
- Alberto Gonzalez singled to right scored Chase Headley and Ryan Ludwick. On the play, Brad Hawpe advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Rob Johnson due up.
Astros 2, Padres 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 5 9:15 PM
- Hunter Pence singled to left scored Angel Sanchez. On the play, Michael Bourn advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 2, Padres 4 Top 5, 1 OutJun 5 8:12 PM
- Chase Headley doubled to left scored Jason Bartlett.. Runner on second with none out and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Astros 1, Padres 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 5 7:33 PM
- Carlos Lee singled to left scored Michael Bourn. Runner on first with two outs and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Astros 1, Padres 3 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 5 7:27 PM
- Aaron Cunningham grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Ryan Ludwick. Brad Hawpe out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Alberto Gonzalez due up.
Astros 0, Padres 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 5 6:57 PM
- Brad Hawpe singled to right scored Jason Bartlett. On the play, Ryan Ludwick advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Aaron Cunningham due up.
Astros 0, Padres 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 5 6:55 PM
- Jason Bartlett tripled to left center scored Chris Denorfia.. Runner on third with none out and Chase Headley due up.
Astros 0, Padres 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 5 6:49 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 5 6:36 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21