Rockies blank PadresJun 7, 2011 - 7:04 AM
Mortensen (1-4) gave up five hits and two walks in six scoreless innings for the Rockies, who won despite not scoring more than three runs for the eighth straight game. They have gone 3-5 in that span.
"I thought Clayton Mortensen did a terrific job. I think that goes without saying, throwing six scoreless innings. Actually he got better as he went along. The location of his pitches improved as he got into the game," said Rockies manager Jim Tracy.
Troy Tulowitzki, Seth Smith and Chris Iannetta each drove in a run for the victors.
Clayton Richard (2-7) struck out eight over seven innings for the Padres, who had won three in a row coming in.
Richard gave up five hits and one run, which came in the first inning when Tulowitzki's two-out comebacker hit off his foot and allowed Chris Nelson to score. Nelson reached earlier with a one-out triple.
The Padres' offense went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position, with most of those chances coming early on.
Ryan Ludwick and Brad Hawpe struck out to strand two in scoring position in the bottom of the first, and Carlos Gonzalez threw out Jorge Cantu at third trying to tag up on Kyle Phillips' deep fly to center in the fourth.
San Diego loaded the bases in the eighth, but Matt Reynolds struck out Alberto Gonzalez to end the threat.
"We had some baserunners, but we just couldn't break through. We had a couple opportunities for some two-out knocks. We just couldn't get them tonight," said Padres manager Bud Black.
Smith helped tack on two insurance runs in the ninth, tripling home Ty Wigginton and coming in on Iannetta's base hit to center.
Huston Street hurled a 1-2-3 ninth to notch his 16th save of the year.
Rex Brothers, Matt Belisle, Rafael Betancourt and Matt Reynolds combined to blank the Padres in the seventh and eighth innings...Colorado has posted four shutouts, while San Diego has been shut out 10 times this year.
- COLORADO: 3
SAN DIEGO: 0
Jun 7 1:10 AM
- Chris Iannetta single to center scored Seth Smith with one out. Runner on first and Matt Reynolds due up.
Rockies 3, Padres 0 Top 9, 1 OutJun 7 1:01 AM
- Seth Smith triple to left center scored Ty Wigginton with one out. Runner on third and Chris Iannetta due up.
Rockies 2, Padres 0 Top 9, 1 OutJun 7 12:57 AM
- Troy Tulowitzki single to short scored Chris Nelson with two outs. Runner on first and Ty Wigginton due up.
Rockies 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 6 10:12 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 6 10:06 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22