Stauffer, Padres blank RockiesJun 8, 2011 - 6:19 AM
Stauffer (2-4) was masterful over a career-high eight innings, allowing just four hits and a walk, while striking out a career-best eight batters.
Equally as impressive at the plate, Stauffer went 2-for-2 with an RBI single, while Alberto Gonzalez also drove in a run for the Padres, who dropped the series opener on Monday to halt a three-game win streak.
"I felt good from the get-go," said Stauffer. "You know, I was aggressive, throwing strikes, the defense made some great plays on some pretty hard-hit balls and just a good, you know, complete team win today."
Heath Bell recorded his 17th save of the season.
Ubaldo Jimenez (1-6) allowed two runs on six hits while striking out eight over seven innings to take the loss.
"You know [Jimenez], he was terrific," said Rockies manager Jim Tracy. "He threw the ball great. He looks like the Ubaldo Jimenez of old, it's that simple. And he deserved, as I've said, deserved a heck of a lot better fate than he got."
In a contest where offense was at a premium, San Diego finally broke through in the fifth, generating a two-out charge to tally the only runs of the game.
After Brad Hawpe and Jorge Cantu went down swinging, Kyle Phillips singled on a grounder to right, advanced to second on a wild pitch by Jimenez and crossed the plate on Gonzalez's RBI single between second and short.
Stauffer continued his impressive night, scoring Gonzalez and giving the Padres a 2-0 lead with a ripped seed into left-center.
The Rockies were scarcely imposing at the dish, going 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position while stranding six.
On Tuesday, the Rockies placed Dexter Fowler on the 15-day DL with a left abdominal strain...Stauffer's two hits tied a career high. He is now batting .455 (5-for-11) over his last six starts...Phillips extended his hit streak to five games...Chase Headley saw a career-high 16-game hit streak come to an end...Jimenez had his five-game win streak against San Diego snapped...Charlie Blackmon made his major league debut for Colorado, starting in left field and batting seventh.
- COLORADO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 2
Jun 8 12:19 AM
- Tim Stauffer single to left scored Alberto Gonzalez with two out. Runner on first and Chris Denorfia due up.
Rockies 0, Padres 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 7 11:14 PM
- Alberto Gonzalez single to second scored Kyle Phillips with two out. On the play, Alberto Gonzalez advanced to second on the throw home. Runner on second and Tim Stauffer due up.
Rockies 0, Padres 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 7 11:13 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 7 10:06 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22