Marquis, Morse help Nats edge PadresJun 11, 2011 - 6:38 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Jason Marquis went six innings and a two-run home run from Michael Morse gave the Washington Nationals a 2-1 win in the second of a four-game series against San Diego.
Marquis (7-2) gave up just one run on three hits with three walks and five strikeouts for the Nationals, who had lost five of seven coming in.
Ryan Ludwick drove in the lone run for the Padres, who had won five of seven coming into the contest. Mat Latos (4-7) got the loss as he gave up the home run and four hits over six innings.
"I thought (Latos') velocity was as good as we've seen this year," San Diego manager Bud Black said. "Pitched aggressive with the fastball. Just the one pitch he'd like to have back was the difference in the game."
The second inning saw the Nationals take the lead as Laynce Nix led off with a single and Morse followed with his 10th home run of the year, a blast to left field.
Ludwick led off the fifth with a double for San Diego and Anthony Rizzo was then hit by a pitch, but Marquis set down the next three batters to escape the jam.
The Padres got on the board in the sixth, but again blew a chance for more. With one out, Chris Denorfia doubled and Jason Bartlett followed with a single. After Brad Hawpe walked, Ludwick drew a free pass to force home Denorfia. However, Rizzo struck out and Jorge Cantu grounded out to third to end the frame.
"Very stressful inning, but to come out of that with one run, that's good veteran pitching right there," said Washington manager Jim Riggleman about Marquis.
Tyler Clippard pitched a 1-2-3 seventh then worked around a leadoff walk in the eighth.
Drew Storen came on to close the game and Rizzo walked to begin the frame. But Cantu grounded into a double play and, after a pinch-hit single from Kyle Phillips, pinch-hitter Nick Hundley struck out as Storen picked up his 13th save of the season.
San Diego batted just 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base...San Diego took two of three in Washington near the end of May...Morse has 36 RBI on the season...Marquis improved to 7-5 against the Padres over 14 games...Latos fell to 3-1 in four starts against the Nats.
- WASHINGTON: 2
SAN DIEGO: 1
Jun 11 12:51 AM
- Ryan Ludwick walk scored Chris Denorfia with one out. Bases loaded and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Nationals 2, Padres 1 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 10 11:57 PM
- Danny Espinosa struck out looking. None on with one out and Wilson Ramos due up.
Nationals 2, Padres 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 10 10:28 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 10 10:08 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22