Big seventh inning leads BoSox in rout of PadresJun 21, 2011 - 5:34 AM
And that was just in the seventh inning.
The Red Sox scored 10 runs in the inning, turning a tie game into a blowout and allowing them to coast to a 14-5 victory over the Padres in the opener of a three-game series.
David Ortiz and Kevin Youkilis both finished with two hits and two RBI for Boston, which scored most of its runs with two outs and improved to 14-3 in June. The Red Sox have had massive offensive success this month, averaging nearly eight runs per game and topping 10 six times.
Monday's late surge made a winner of Matt Albers (2-3), who threw 1 1/3 innings in relief of Andrew Miller. The 6-foot-7 left-hander made it into the sixth inning without allowing a run, but gave up a three-run homer to Orlando Hudson that tied the game.
Miller allowed a long double to Anthony Rizzo later in the inning, but Albers came in and got the final out to prevent the Padres from taking the lead.
San Diego's pitching staff wasn't as fortunate.
Cory Luebke (1-2) had thrown three shutout innings of relief and remained on the mound to start the seventh. He was pulled after Gonzalez -- a former Padres star -- smacked an RBI double off the Green Monster with one out, giving Boston a 4-3 edge.
"I was looking for a fastball and he threw it to me," Gonzalez said. "It was a great Green Monster double. A lot of places it would be just a flyball to left, but I hit it in the right spot."
Ernesto Frieri came in and got Youkilis to fly out, then intentionally walked Ortiz to set up a force out. But he walked J.D. Drew to load the bases, then forced in two runs by hitting Marco Scutaro and Jason Varitek.
Scribner entered in the hope of keeping the game close, but the Red Sox were off and running.
Their offense operated like a crowded revolving door, each hit pushing more people in as it shoved people out the other end.
Pinch-hitter Josh Reddick hit a two-run single and Jacoby Ellsbury singled to keep the bases full. Dustin Pedroia walked before Gonzalez ripped a two-run single to right, and Youkilis plated two with a double to left, making it a 13-3 contest.
Pat Neshek struck out Ortiz to finally end the deluge.
The Red Sox's effectiveness with runners in scoring position during the seventh stood in contrast to wasted opportunities earlier in the game.
They had the bases full with one out in the first inning, but managed only one run on a single by Ortiz. Ortiz doubled in a run during the third, and Boston loaded the bases with nobody out in the fourth.
However, Luebke took over for San Diego starter Wade LeBlanc and limited the damage to one run, which scored when Ellsbury grounded into a double play. Gonzalez struck out to end the inning.
But Gonzalez and the Red Sox didn't let their next opportunity pass them by.
This was the teams' first meeting since 2007, when Boston took two of three in San Diego...Hudson's homer was his first since August 17, 2010. He finished with three hits...Padres third baseman Chase Headley went 4-for-5, his third four-hit performance in his last six games...LeBlanc allowed seven hits and two walks in three-plus frames...Chris Denorfia and Jesus Guzman drove in runs in the eighth and ninth innings, respectively, for San Diego.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
Jun 20 10:52 PM
- Jesus Guzman single to center scored Chase Headley with one out. Runner on first and Orlando Hudson due up.
Padres 5, Red Sox 14 Top 9, 1 OutJun 20 10:48 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury walked, scoring J.D. Drew with one out. Bases loaded and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Padres 4, Red Sox 14 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 20 10:41 PM
- Chris Denorfia infield single to second scored Orlando Hudson with two outs. On the play, Nick Hundley advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jason Bartlett due up.
Padres 4, Red Sox 13 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 20 10:26 PM
- Kevin Youkilis double to left scored Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez with two outs. Runner on second and David Ortiz due up.
Padres 3, Red Sox 13 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 20 10:10 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to right scored Josh Reddick and Jacoby Ellsbury with two outs. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to second. Runners on first and second and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Padres 3, Red Sox 11 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 20 10:07 PM
- Dustin Pedroia walked, scoring Jason Varitek with two outs. Bases loaded and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Padres 3, Red Sox 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 20 10:06 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Josh Reddick single to center scored J.D. Drew and Marco Scutaro with two outs. On the play, Jason Varitek advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Padres 3, Red Sox 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 20 10:00 PM
- Jason Varitek was hit-by-pitch, scoring David Ortiz with two outs. Bases loaded and Mike Cameron due up.
Padres 3, Red Sox 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 20 9:55 PM
- Marco Scutaro was hit-by-pitch, scoring Adrian Gonzalez with two outs. Bases loaded and Jason Varitek due up.
Padres 3, Red Sox 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 20 9:52 PM
- Kevin Youkilis flied out to left. Runner on second with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Padres 3, Red Sox 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 20 9:45 PM
- Anthony Rizzo doubled to center. Runner on second with two outs and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 3, Red Sox 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 20 9:05 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury grounded into a double play, second to short to first, scoring Marco Scutaro with two outs. Mike Cameron out at second. Jason Varitek advances to third. Runner on third and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Padres 0, Red Sox 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 20 8:36 PM
- David Ortiz double to right scored Kevin Youkilis with two outs. Runner on second and Darnell McDonald due up.
Padres 0, Red Sox 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 20 8:15 PM
- David Ortiz single to left scored Dustin Pedroia with one out. On the play, Kevin Youkilis advances to second and Adrian Gonzalez advances to third. Bases loaded and Darnell McDonald due up.
Padres 0, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 20 7:38 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 20 7:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22