Huff ties it off Bell, Giants beat Padres in extrasJul 15, 2011 - 6:22 AM
Heath Bell came in to close the game for the Padres in the ninth inning, but Aubrey Huff crushed a lead-off homer to right field.
Luke Gregerson walked Mike Fontenot with the bases full in the 12th to force in the go-ahead run, as the NL West leaders kicked off this four-game series with their fifth victory in six games.
Sandoval, who singled on a first pitch from Aaron Harang in the opening inning, has the longest hitting streak for the Giants since Jack Clark's San Francisco era record 26-game stretch from June 30-July 25, 1978.
Giants starter Madison Bumgarner allowed seven hits through six innings, while Harang gave up five in seven frames.
Cameron Maybin and Jason Bartlett each had two hits for the Padres, but the cellar-dwellers in the division suffered their sixth straight defeat, tying a season-high.
Bell raced in from the bullpen to start the ninth, but the right-hander surrendered his first homer all season, when Huff got hold of an 0-2 pitch down and in and drove the ball over the wall in right field.
Cody Ross, who barely missed a homer just after Huff's at-bat in the ninth, walked to start the 12th against Gregerson (2-3). Brandon Crawford walked and Eli Whiteside put down a bunt toward the left side of the infield. Gregerson slipped trying to field the ball and everybody was safe.
The Padres, though, nearly got out of the inning unscathed as pinch-hitter Miguel Tejada fouled out and Andres Torres fanned. However, Fontenot walked on four pitches, with the last one barely outside. Sandoval singled sharply to left field for a 4-1 lead.
Nate Schierholtz singled to left field off Ernesto Frieri to account for another run, and Huff capped the rally with an RBI infield hit.
The Padres loaded the bases in their half of the 12th against Javier Lopez, but came away with just one run on a Will Venable sacrifice fly. That was the first batter Brian Wilson faced. The bearded-laden closer walked Chris Denorfia to load the bags again but retired Bartlett on a grounder back to the mound. That sealed Wilson's 27th save of the year.
Santiago Casilla (2-1) threw two innings to get the win.
Chase Headley singled in Denorfia in the third inning, but the Padres weren't able to capitalize in other key situations, leaving nine runners on base.
San Francisco took two of three from the Padres just before the All-Star break...Sandoval's hitting streak is approaching the highest-ever for a Venezuelan-born player. That's held by Detroit's Victor Martinez, 25 games during the 2009 season with Boston...This was the first time in 100 games that Bell has given up a homer and his first since April 19, 2010 against then- Giant Juan Uribe...Headley left the game in the eighth inning with a left ankle contusion.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 6
SAN DIEGO: 2
Jul 15 2:01 AM
- Will Venable sacrifice fly to left scored Cameron Maybin with two outs. Runners on first and second and Chris Denorfia due up.
Giants 6, Padres 2 Bot 12, 2 OutsJul 15 1:58 AM
- Aubrey Huff single to second scored Pablo Sandoval with two outs. On the play, Nate Schierholtz advances to third. Runners on first and third and Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Giants 6, Padres 1 Top 12, 2 OutsJul 15 1:43 AM
- Nate Schierholtz single to left scored Mike Fontenot with two outs. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advances to second. Runners on first and second and Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 5, Padres 1 Top 12, 2 OutsJul 15 1:40 AM
- Pablo Sandoval singled to left scored Brandon Crawford and Eli Whiteside with two outs. On the play, Mike Fontenot advances to third. Runners on first and third and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Giants 4, Padres 1 Top 12, 2 OutsJul 15 1:35 AM
- Mike Fontenot walk scored Emmanuel Burriss with two outs.. Bases loaded and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 2, Padres 1 Top 12, 2 OutsJul 15 1:31 AM
- Aubrey Huff lead-off Home Run (9) to right. Cody Ross due up.
Giants 1, Padres 1 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 15 12:44 AM
- Chase Headley single to left scored Chris Denorfia with two outs. On the play, Jason Bartlett advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Giants 0, Padres 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 14 10:54 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 14 10:07 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21