Maybin helps Padres to sweep of MarlinsJul 21, 2011 - 11:58 PM
"It was fun, and it was a lot more fun not just because we won the series, but because we got to sweep these guys," Maybin said. "I was able to make some plays, score some runs and drive in some guys."
Jesus Guzman slugged a two-run double, while Jason Bartlett notched a pair of hits, an RBI and also scored twice for the Padres, who have taken four of five overall.
Dustin Moseley (3-9) worked six innings for the win, allowing five hits and three unearned runs with two strikeouts. Heath Bell recorded his 28th save with a flawless ninth.
The victory came at a cost, however, as second baseman Orlando Hudson was removed from the game on a stretcher in the bottom of the seventh inning with an apparent neck injury.
Omar Infante hit a two-run triple for the Marlins, who had won nine of 10 entering the series. Emilio Bonifacio contributed an RBI single to extend his hit streak to a career-high 20 games.
Javier Vazquez (6-9) was touched in defeat for eight hits and five runs over 4 1/3 frames.
Hudson was hurt while trying to track down a pop fly in foul territory off the bat of Infante. He caught the ball but collided with a wall, causing him to collapse on the field. After laying motionless for several minutes, Hudson was fitted with a neck brace, his body immobilized and loaded onto a stretcher. A cart then transported him to a local hospital for tests on his neck and shoulder.
The unexpected respite didn't sidetrack the Padres, who were ahead by two runs. Mike Adams fanned two while retiring the side in order in the bottom of the eighth before Bell did the same in the ninth.
San Diego picked up three runs in the first on an RBI hit from Bartlett and a two-run double by Guzman.
Maybin then robbed Logan Morrison of a sure home run in the bottom of the frame, making a leaping grab with his back to the wall near dead center to keep the Marlins off the board.
A rain delay lasting nearly 2 1/2 hours interrupted play in the top of the second, but the Padres kept rolling along. It was 4-0 in the third as Maybin singled, stole second and scored on Hudson's RBI single.
Chris Denorfia's bases-loaded walk pushed across another run for the visitors in the fifth and chased Vazquez from the mound, but the Marlins finally countered with three in the home half on Bonifacio's base hit and a two-run triple from Infante.
It was all the offense they could muster on a hot, humid and wet afternoon.
"This is a club that can't afford to give up three or four runs in the first inning," Marlins manager Jack McKeon said. "We don't have the kind of offensive power."
San Diego outscored Florida by a 23-6 margin in the set...Maybin, a former Marlin, finished 9-for-15 in the series...The Padres have won eight straight in Miami and nine of 11 overall against the Marlins since last April...Bonifacio's last hitless game occurred on June 26 against Seattle.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
Jul 21 5:30 PM
- Omar Infante triple to right scored Brett Hayes and Emilio Bonifacio. Runner on third with two outs and Logan Morrison due up.
Padres 5, Marlins 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 21 4:19 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio single to center scored Mike Stanton. On the play, Brett Hayes advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Omar Infante due up.
Padres 5, Marlins 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 21 4:16 PM
- Chris Denorfia walk scored Jason Bartlett. Bases loaded with one out and Alberto Gonzalez due up.
Padres 5, Marlins 0 Top 5, 1 OutJul 21 4:02 PM
- Orlando Hudson single to right scored Cameron Maybin. On the play, Orlando Hudson advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second with one out and Chris Denorfia due up.
Padres 4, Marlins 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 21 3:26 PM
- Jesus Guzman double to right scored Jason Bartlett and Cameron Maybin. Runner on second with none out and Orlando Hudson due up.
Padres 3, Marlins 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 21 12:17 PM
- Jason Bartlett single to right scored Will Venable. Runner on first with none out and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 21 12:13 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 21 12:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22