Dodgers beat Padres behind Kershaw CGAug 2, 2011 - 7:06 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Clayton Kershaw sparkled for the Dodgers Monday, going the distance en route to a 6-2 win over the San Diego Padres in the opener of a three-game set at Petco Park.
Kershaw (13-4) gave up two runs on six hits while fanning four and walking two.
"That's what happens sometimes -- you don't have maybe strikeout stuff, but you have groundball stuff, and you just go with it," Kershaw said. "They were ... aggressive tonight, and I paid for it some, but I also got some quick outs."
Casey Blake went 2-for-3 with an RBI while Matt Kemp, Rod Barajas and Jamey Carroll all added two hits for the Dodgers, who bounced back after losing two of three to the Arizona Diamondbacks over the weekend.
Orlando Hudson smacked a solo home run and Jesus Guzman chipped in with a pair of hits for the Padres, who were unable to build upon an 8-3 win over the Rockies on Sunday.
Cory Luebke (3-6) gave up five runs on 10 hits over 7 1/3 innings to absorb the loss. He fanned three and did not issue a walk.
"I felt good. I let some decision-making kind of determine the outcome of the game, and that's just more frustrating than anything," Luebke said.
The Dodgers took the lead for good in the fourth, when Kemp led off with a double and scored on a double by Barajas two batters later.
Los Angeles extended its lead to 4-1 in the fifth. Carroll hit a leadoff double and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by Kershaw. Dee Gordon followed and hit a fielder's choice which allowed Carroll to score and Kershaw to advance to second, giving the Dodgers runners on first and second with no outs.
Both runners advanced a base on a wild pitch by Luebke, and Kershaw scored when Blake lofted a sacrifice fly to left.
The Padres cut the deficit to two in the seventh on Hudson's leadoff homer. He blasted Kershaw's offering over the wall in center field for his third home run of the season.
Los Angeles got two more runs in the eighth to make it a 6-2 game. Andre Ethier reached on a fielder's choice and came around to score on a triple by Kemp. Juan Rivera then drove in Kemp with a sacrifice fly to center.
The Padres opened the scoring in their first at-bat. Cameron Maybin walked, stole second, advanced to third on a groundout, then scored on Guzman's single to center.
Los Angeles tied the game in the next inning. Rivera ripped a one-out single, advanced to second on a wild pitch and moved to third on a single by Barajas. Rivera then trotted home on a sacrifice fly by James Loney.
Prior to Monday's game, the Padres optioned pitcher Wade LeBlanc to Triple-A Tucson and recalled outfielders Aaron Cunningham and Blake Tekotte from Tucson and Double-A San Antonio...Los Angeles is 21-22 against the National League West, while the Padres are 16-24 against teams in their own division...Kershaw's 13th victory ties him with Philadelphia's Roy Halladay and Arizona's Ian Kennedy for the National League lead...It was Kershaw's fourth complete game of the season, and fifth of his career.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
SAN DIEGO: 2
Aug 2 12:32 AM
- Rod Barajas popped out to second to end the inning.
Dodgers 6, Padres 2 Mid 8Aug 2 12:09 AM
- Matt Kemp triple to left center scored Andre Ethier with one out. Runner on third with one out and Juan Rivera due up.
Dodgers 5, Padres 2 Top 8, 1 OutAug 2 12:05 AM
- Orlando Hudson lead-off Home Run (3) to center. Aaron Cunningham due up.
Dodgers 4, Padres 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 1 11:52 PM
- Casey Blake sacrifice fly to left scored Clayton Kershaw with one out. On the play, Dee Gordon advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 4, Padres 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 1 11:16 PM
- Dee Gordon fielder's choice to the pitcher scored Jamey Carroll with none out. On the play, Clayton Kershaw advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Casey Blake due up.
Dodgers 3, Padres 1 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 1 11:14 PM
- Rod Barajas single to left scored Matt Kemp with one out. Runner on first with one out and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 1 Top 4, 1 OutAug 1 10:59 PM
- James Loney sacrifice fly to center scored Juan Rivera with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 1 10:28 PM
- Jesus Guzman single to center scored Cameron Maybin with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Orlando Hudson due up.
Dodgers 0, Padres 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 1 10:21 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 1 10:06 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21