Kuroda, Dodgers blank PadresAug 3, 2011 - 7:00 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Hiroki Kuroda went seven scoreless innings to lead the Los Angeles Dodgers to a 1-0 victory over the San Diego Padres.
Kuroda (7-13) allowed just four hits and two walks while tying a season-high with eight strikeouts.
Mike MacDougal worked around two hits to keep the Padres off the board in the eighth and Javy Guerra recorded the final three outs to earn his ninth save of the season.
Matt Kemp had an RBI for the Dodgers, who downed the Padres for the fifth consecutive time.
Mat Latos (5-11) was the hard-luck loser, surrendering the game's lone run on six hits over seven innings.
Blake Tekotte, who was called up from the minors on Monday, went 3-for-4, as the Padres fell for the ninth time in 12 contests.
The Dodgers, who will look for the sweep of this three-game series on Wednesday, pieced together a run in the fourth. Dee Gordon led off with a bunt single, advanced to third on consecutive groundouts by Casey Blake and Aaron Miles and scored on Kemp's base hit between third and short.
"It's a feel thing for me and here I need to do it, I need to get on base so these guys can hit me in," Gordon said.
The Padres wasted an early opportunity when Kyle Blanks went down swinging in the second with Tekotte at third.
Tekotte led off the fifth with a single and Blanks followed with a walk. Kuroda sent down Rob Johnson and Latos on strikes before Cameron Maybin ripped a sinking liner towards right. Juan Rivera charged and made the sliding catch, however, to keep the Padres off the board.
In the seventh, a two-out intentional walk to pinch-hitter Will Venable again pushed Tekotte, who reached earlier with single, into scoring position. But Kuroda struck out Logan Forsythe to end the inning.
Kuroda gave way to MacDougal to begin the home eighth and the Padres took advantage with consecutive one-out singles by Jason Bartlett and Chase Headley. Again the threat fizzled, as Jesus Guzman flew out and Orlando Hudson grounded out.
"Last time, it felt a little overwhelming, maybe," Tekotte said. "I got my feet wet, went back down and knew what I had to work on. I changed a little bit of my swing, just kind of my approach and everything. This go-around I feel a little bit more comfortable up there in knowing what I need to do."
The Dodgers' five-game win streak over the Padres marks their longest since they took five straight from the club from April 30 - June 9, 2009...The Dodgers' eight wins over the Padres this season marks their most against any team...Latos has not won since June 27...The Padres have been shut out 16 times this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
SAN DIEGO: 0
Aug 3 12:54 AM
- Matt Kemp single to left scored Dee Gordon with two outs. Runner on first and Juan Rivera due up.
Dodgers 1, Padres 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 2 10:55 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 2 10:06 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21