Padres sweep struggling PiratesAug 7, 2011 - 11:00 PM
Latos (6-11) allowed two runs on four hits and a walk while striking out seven to earn his first win since June 27. He was riding a six-start winless streak.
"I just got locked in. Me and [catcher Luis Martinez] clicked and just went right after hitters," Latos said.
Will Venable added three hits, two RBI and a run scored in San Diego's fourth straight win.
Kevin Correia (12-10) allowed four runs on five hits and four walks in 5 2/3 innings as the Pirates' season-high losing streak increased to 10 games.
"It's amazing how quick things can change. On the other hand, we can change them in our direction quick as well," Pirates shortstop Brandon Wood said about his team's recent struggles.
Orlando Hudson singled to lead off the second, and Kyle Blanks followed with a double to right that bounced off the glove of Matt Diaz at the wall to put runners on second and third. Forsythe then hit a grounder to short that plated Hudson and gave the Padres a one-run advantage.
After Jesus Guzman's two out single in the sixth, Correia issued back-to- back walks to Hudson and Blanks to load the bases. Forsythe came up next and hit a ball back up the middle for a two-run single, knocking Correia out of the game.
Daniel McCutchen came on next and intentionally walked Martinez to load the bases for a second time. McCutchen's wild pitch allowed Blanks to score to make it a 4-0 game before Latos ended the inning with a fly out to right.
The Padres increased their lead on Jason Bartlett's run-scoring, bloop single into shallow right field in the seventh, and Venable's two-run double in the eighth.
Latos had only allowed two hits through seven innings, but after back-to-back singles by Ryan Doumit and Pedro Alvarez to start the eighth, he was lifted for Chad Qualls.
Wood sent the first pitch Qualls threw over the left-field wall to put the Pirates on the board with a three-run homer.
The only other time Pittsburgh put a man in scoring position was in the sixth inning. Wood hit a leadoff single and moved to second on a ground out by pinch-hitter Steve Pearce. But he did not advance any further as Xavier Paul flied out to left and Matt Diaz grounded out third to end the inning.
Padres third baseman Chase Headley sat out the game with a fractured left pinkie finger...San Diego outscored Pittsburgh by a count of 35-10 in the series...The Pirates have lost nine in a row at PNC Park to the Padres.
- SAN DIEGO: 7
Aug 7 4:35 PM
- Steve Pearce grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Xavier Paul due up.
Padres 7, Pirates 3 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 7 4:13 PM
- Ryan Doumit singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Padres 7, Pirates 0 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 7 4:05 PM
- Jason Bartlett single to right scored Will Venable with none out. Runner on first and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 5, Pirates 0 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 7 3:34 PM
- Kyle Blanks scored on a wild pitch by Daniel McCutchen with two out. On the play, Luis Martinez advances to second and Logan Forsythe advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third and Mat Latos at the plate.
Padres 4, Pirates 0 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 7 3:21 PM
- Daniel McCutchen enters the game for the Pirates with runners on second and third and with two out.
Padres 3, Pirates 0 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 7 3:16 PM
- Luis Martinez grounded out to first. On the play, Kyle Blanks advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Mat Latos due up.
Padres 1, Pirates 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 7 2:01 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 7 1:36 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21