Padres score two in ninth to down GiantsAug 24, 2011 - 6:25 AM
The Giants sent Ramon Ramirez (2-2) to the mound in the ninth after scoring three runs in the eighth to tie the game. Nick Hundley led off with a double down the left-field line, moved to third on a sacrifice bunt and scored the go-ahead run on Gonzalez's base hit up the middle. Gonzalez advanced to second on a wild pitch and crossed the plate on Venable's single to right to account for the final margin.
Mat Latos gave up two runs -- one earned -- on three hits in a six-inning start for the Padres, who have won a season-high five straight games. Erik Hamren (1-0) recorded the final out in the eighth to pick up his first victory in the majors. Heath Bell got his 35th save.
"For us to go out there and win this game, especially the way we did it builds a lot of character with these guys," Bell said.
Cody Ross, Hector Sanchez and Orlando Cabrera each drove in a run for the Giants, who sit two games back of Arizona in the NL West. The Diamondbacks beat the Nationals on Tuesday.
Matt Cain allowed five runs -- three earned -- on six hits over seven innings for San Francisco, which has lost six of eight.
"We couldn't quite finish the deal there," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "But we had some big hits late."
San Diego scored four runs over the first three innings to jump out to an early lead. Jason Bartlett got things going in the first inning with a one-out double to right. Bartlett moved to third on Cameron Maybin's groundout and crossed the plate on Jesus Guzman's base hit to left.
The Padres tacked on two runs in the second. Orlando Hudson reached first on Cain's fielding error and crossed the plate on Kyle Blanks' homer to left.
The away team added another run in the third to make it 4-0. Venable led off with a double, advanced to third on Bartlett's groundout and scored on Maybin's single to left.
Latos started to get wild in the fourth. With two outs, Latos walked three straight batters to load the bases, but Aaron Rowand grounded into a fielder's choice to end the threat.
The Giants' first hit of the game came in the fifth. Chris Stewart led off the frame with a bloop single to center. Stewart moved to second on a sacrifice bunt, but was stranded there.
A defensive error allowed San Francisco to score a pair of runs in the sixth. Pablo Sandoval led off with a single and moved to third on Aubrey Huff's double off the bricks in right. Brandon Belt then hit a routine grounder to first baseman Guzman, who decided to throw home instead of stepping on first base. His errant throw allowed two runs to score. Latos retired the next three batters to keep it a 4-2 contest.
A pair of errors by the Giants in the seventh allowed the Padres to score a run. Hudson led off with single, stole second and moved to third on Stewart's throwing error. Hundley followed with a grounder to second baseman Jeff Keppinger, whose bad throw home allowed Hudson to score.
San Francisco came back with three runs in the eighth to tie the game. Josh Spence gave up a one-out single to Belt before handing the ball over to Luke Gregerson. Ross greeted him with an RBI double over Maybin's head in center. Rowand reached first on third baseman Logan Forsythe's error to put men on the corners. Pinch-hitter Sanchez followed with is first hit in the big leagues -- an RBI single to right-center field. Cabrera's run-scoring single to left made it a 5-5 game. Joe Thatcher and Hamren combined to record the final two outs of the inning.
San Francisco is 6-5 against the Padres this season and took three of four meetings from July 14-17 at Petco Park. The Padres went 12-6 in the 2010 season series...The Padres started an eight-game road trip, while the Giants got a 12-game homestand underway...San Francisco activated right fielder Carlos Beltran from the 15-day disabled list Tuesday. Beltran came on as a pinch-hitter in the eighth and popped out. In a corresponding move, the Giants placed pitcher Jonathan Sanchez on the 15- day disabled list with a left ankle sprain.
- SAN DIEGO: 7
SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Aug 24 1:35 AM
- Will Venable singled to right scored Alberto Gonzalez. Runner on second with one out and Jason Bartlett due up.
Padres 7, Giants 5 Top 9, 1 OutAug 24 1:22 AM
- Alberto Gonzalez singled to center scoring Nick Hundley. Runner on first with one out and Will Venable due up.
Padres 6, Giants 5 Top 9, 1 OutAug 24 1:17 AM
- Orlando Cabrera singled to left scoring Aaron Rowand. On the play, Hector Sanchez advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Mike Fontenot due up.
Padres 5, Giants 5 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 24 12:59 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Hector Sanchez singled to center scoring Cody Ross. On the play, Aaron Rowand advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Orlando Cabrera due up.
Padres 5, Giants 4 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 24 12:55 AM
- Cody Ross doubled to center scoring Brandon Belt. Runner on second with one out and Aaron Rowand due up.
Padres 5, Giants 3 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 24 12:52 AM
- Nick Hundley reached first on fielder's choice to second. On the play, Jeff Keppinger's throwing error scored Orlando Hudson. Runner on second with one out and Logan Forsythe due up.
Padres 5, Giants 2 Top 7, 1 OutAug 24 12:09 AM
- Brandon Belt reached first on a fielder's choice to first scoring Pablo Sandoval. On the play, Aubrey Huff scored on Jesus Guzman's throwing error. Runner on second with none out and Cody Ross due up.
Padres 4, Giants 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 23 11:53 PM
- Cameron Maybin singled to off third to left scoring Will Venable. Runner on first with one out and Jesus Guzman due up.
Padres 4, Giants 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 23 11:00 PM
- Kyle Blanks none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Orlando Hudson. Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 3, Giants 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 23 10:38 PM
- Jesus Guzman singled to left scoring Jason Bartlett. Runner on first with two outs and Orlando Hudson due up.
Padres 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 23 10:22 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 23 10:17 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21