Barajas' homer helps Dodgers sweep PadresAug 31, 2011 - 11:04 PM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Rod Barajas hit a two-run homer and the Dodgers beat the Padres, 4-2, on Wednesday to complete a three-game sweep.
Barajas' homer in the second inning gave Los Angeles an early 3-1 lead that stood up.
Ted Lilly (9-13) earned the win in 5 2/3 innings, giving up two runs and five hits with four walks and three strikeouts.
Josh Lindblom, Scott Elbert and Mike MacDougal combined to throw 2 1/3 innings and Javy Guerra worked around a two-out walk in the ninth to record his 13th save.
San Diego starter Wade LeBlanc hit an RBI single, but took the loss on the mound. LeBlanc (2-4) gave up four runs on six hits in six innings.
The Padres have lost a season high-tying seven straight on the heels of a five-game winning streak and finished 1-7 on an eight-game road trip against NL West opponents.
The Dodgers improved to 8-1 in their last nine games overall and went 5-1 on a six-game homestand. They are headed on an 11-game road trip starting Thursday in Pittsburgh.
They took an early 1-0 lead in this one, jumping on LeBlanc for three straight singles to lead off the first inning. Justin Sellers, Tony Gwynn Jr. and Matt Kemp had the hits, with Sellers scoring on Kemp's single to left field.
LeBlanc tied the game for San Diego in the second with a base hit to left that plated Aaron Cunningham from second base.
But James Loney led off the second with a walk and Barajas knocked LeBlanc's 3-1 fastball inside the left-field pole for his 15th homer and a 3-1 lead. Loney knocked in Casey Blake with a single in the fourth after Blake had led off with a ground-rule double.
Alberto Gonzalez hit an RBI double in the sixth inning to get the Padres within 4-2 and chase Lilly from the game.
The Dodgers have won eight of the last nine games with San Diego and are 11-4 in the season series...The Padres are headed home for six games against the Rockies and Giants. They also lost seven straight games from July 6-15...Kemp reached a career high with his 102nd RBI of the season.
- SAN DIEGO: 2
LOS ANGELES: 4
Aug 31 6:21 PM
- Alberto Gonzalez double to left scored Kyle Blanks. On the play, Alberto Gonzalez advances to third on Tony Gwynn Jr.'s throwing error. Runner on third with two outs and Aaron Cunningham due up.
Padres 2, Dodgers 4 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 31 5:04 PM
- James Loney single to right scored Casey Blake. Runner on first with none out and Rod Barajas due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 31 4:31 PM
- Rod Barajas none-out, two-run Home Run (15) to left scored James Loney. Eugenio Velez due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 31 3:53 PM
- Wade LeBlanc single to center scored Aaron Cunningham. On the play, Rob Johnson advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Will Venable due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 31 3:42 PM
- Matt Kemp single to left scored Justin Sellers. On the play, Tony Gwynn Jr. advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Juan Rivera due up.
Padres 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 31 3:30 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 3:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21