Bumgarner sparkles as Giants down PadresSep 6, 2011 - 2:38 AM
Bumgarner (10-12) registered a career-high 13 strikeouts and allowed just two runs on seven hits over 8 1/3 innings.
Cody Ross went 3-for-4 with two doubles and two RBI for the Giants, who had lost five of their previous seven, including two straight to the NL West- leading Diamondbacks.
"Of course it starts with Madison; what a job he did out there on the mound," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "But we had some big hits from everybody. Of course, Pablo had a big day."
Tim Stauffer (8-12) allowed four runs on seven hits over six innings to suffer the loss.
"Physically and mentally I feel strong and good," Stauffer said. "Just not executing as well as I need to be and as well as I know I'm capable of."
Nick Hundley hit a home run, Jesus Guzman had an RBI single and Chris Denorfia had a pair of doubles for the Padres, losers in 10 of their last 11 games.
The Giants, who trail the Diamondbacks by seven games, took a 1-0 lead on Sandoval's two-out, first-inning homer.
Bumgarner allowed a runner to reach second in each of the first four innings, but surrendered just one run, which came when Guzman singled after a Jason Bartlett double in the first.
Ross and Brandon Belt singled to place runners on the corners in the second, and Ross crossed the plate on Brandon Crawford's double-play groundout.
Sandoval began the fourth with his 18th homer of the season. Ross doubled two batters later and Crawford made it a 4-1 game with a base hit to right.
The Giants loaded the bases against Jeff Fulchino in the eighth before Ross ripped a two-run double. Josh Spence entered and walked Belt before Brad Brach walked Mark DeRosa, making it 7-1.
Bumgarner retired 12 consecutive batters between a Denorfia one-out double in the fourth and a Bartlett one-out single in the eighth. He began the ninth in search of his first career complete game, but was pulled after allowing a one- out homer to Hundley. Santiago Casilla struck out the next two batters to end the game.
The Giants are 46-9 this season when scoring at least four runs...Bumgarner is 14-2 in his career when receiving three or more runs of support...Sandoval notched the third multi-home run game of his career...Stauffer has lost his last three starts.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 7
SAN DIEGO: 2
Sep 5 6:53 PM
- Nick Hundley one-out, solo Home Run (6) to center. Chris Denorfia is due up.
Giants 7, Padres 2 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 5 6:47 PM
- Pinch-hitter Mark DeRosa's walk scored Darren Ford. Bases loaded with one out and Chris Stewart due up.
Giants 7, Padres 1 Top 8, 1 OutSep 5 6:21 PM
- Cody Ross doubled to left scoring Jeff Keppinger and Pablo Sandoval. On the play, Darren Ford advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 6, Padres 1 Top 8, 1 OutSep 5 6:10 PM
- Brandon Crawford singled to right scoring Cody Ross. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Stewart due up.
Giants 4, Padres 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 5 5:10 PM
- Pablo Sandoval lead off Home Run 2 (18) to right. Aubrey Huff is due up.
Giants 3, Padres 1 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 5 5:01 PM
- Brandon Crawford grounded into a double play, short to second to first, scoring Cody Ross. Brandon Belt out at second with two outs. None on and Chris Stewart due up.
Giants 2, Padres 1 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 5 4:30 PM
- Jesus Guzman single to center scored Jason Bartlett with one out. Runner on first and Kyle Blanks due up.
Giants 1, Padres 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 5 4:19 PM
- Pablo Sandoval two-out, solo Home Run (17) to center. Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 5 4:10 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 5 4:07 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21