Giants hold off Padres, gain ground in WestSep 7, 2011 - 7:44 AM
The Giants, who have won the first two contests of this three-game set, are six games behind the NL West-leading Diamondbacks. Arizona lost to Colorado Tuesday night.
Left-hander Eric Surkamp (1-0), who was recalled from the minors to make his second major league start, allowed five hits and three runs over five innings to record his first win.
"It's awesome to think they believe in you and they have confidence in you," Surkamp said.
The Giants won their first series since August 12-14 at Florida. They had posted a 1-8-2 record in their last 11 series and were 0-4-2 in their last six sets before taking this one.
Santiago Casilla struggled in the ninth inning, allowing a pinch-hit RBI double to Anthony Rizzo. He then hit Cameron Maybin and Jason Bartlett before Giants manager Bruce Bochy summoned Ramon Ramirez from the bullpen. He fanned Jesus Guzman to end the game and notched his fourth save.
Nick Hundley homered for the Padres, losers in 11 of their last 12 games.
Wade LeBlanc (2-5) allowed eight hits and four runs over five innings to take the loss.
"We're playing hard, the results just aren't happening in the win column," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Mark DeRosa singled to start the second. Pill, a first baseman, then homered off the facade of the Western Metal Building beyond left field. He is the first Giants player to homer in his first major league at-bat since first baseman Will Clark on April 8, 1986 against Houston's Nolan Ryan.
Hundley's homer and Andy Parrino's sacrifice fly in the second tied the game, and the teams exchanged runs in the third, on a Beltran single and sac fly from Kyle Blanks.
The Giants went ahead for good in the fifth. Center fielder Justin Christian, who was called up from Triple-A Fresno and was in his first major league game since 2008 when he played for the Yankees, doubled to lead off. Beltran then doubled to the left field corner with one out for a 4-3 margin.
Orlando Cabrera singled in Beltran in the eighth and Beltran's groundout, off the glove of first baseman Jesus Guzman, plated Pablo Sandoval in the ninth.
Beltran has collected three-or-more hits in three of four games this month, going 11-for-15 so far in September...Sandoval has hit safely in 12 of 14 games against the Padres this year, batting .358 vs. San Diego...This is just the third time in San Francisco history a player has homered in his first big league plate appearance with Johnnie LeMaster also doing so on September 2, 1975 vs. the Dodgers...The Giants have won nine of 14 meetings with San Diego this season.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 6
SAN DIEGO: 4
Sep 7 1:10 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Anthony Rizzo double to right scored Orlando Hudson with two out. Runner on second and Cameron Maybin due up.
Giants 6, Padres 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 7 12:59 AM
- Carlos Beltran ground out second to first, deflected at first, scored Pablo Sandoval with two out. On the play, Jeff Keppinger advanced to second. Runner on second and Cody Ross due up.
Giants 6, Padres 3 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 7 12:45 AM
- Orlando Cabrera single to center scored Carlos Beltran with two out. On the play, Mike Fontenot advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Stewart due up.
Giants 5, Padres 3 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 7 12:21 AM
- Carlos Beltran double to left scored Justin Christian with one out. Runner on second and Cody Ross due up.
Giants 4, Padres 3 Top 5, 1 OutSep 6 11:24 PM
- Kyle Blanks sacrifice fly to center scored Jason Bartlett with two out. None on and Nick Hundley due up.
Giants 3, Padres 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 6 11:05 PM
- Carlos Beltran single to left scored Jeff Keppinger with none out. Runner on first and Cody Ross due up.
Giants 3, Padres 2 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 6 10:56 PM
- Andy Parrino sacrifice fly to center scored Chris Denorfia with two out. None on and Wade LeBlanc due up.
Giants 2, Padres 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 6 10:47 PM
- James Darnell grounded out third to first. Runner on second with one out and Andy Parrino due up.
Giants 2, Padres 1 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 6 10:42 PM
- Brett Pill none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Mark DeRosa. Orlando Cabrera due up.
Giants 2, Padres 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 6 10:27 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 6 10:05 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21