White Sox top Rays, snap 7-game slideApr 22, 2011 - 6:42 AM
Juan Pierre touched home three times while Paul Konerko had three hits and two RBI for the White Sox, who snapped a seven-game losing streak and notched the first win of their 11-game road trip (1-3). Carlos Quentin and A.J. Pierzynski also had two RBI apiece in the win.
Gavin Floyd (2-1) had a solid outing for the White Sox, allowing two runs on seven hits and striking out seven.
"I felt like I had to dig deep, especially when guys were on," Floyd said. "Just try to make pitches, get ahead, and make them put it in play."
Sam Fuld knocked in the only two runs for the Rays, who dipped back under the .500 mark. They had improved to 9-9 after winning the first three games against Chicago.
Despite the loss, the Rays have turned it on lately, going 8-2 their last 10 games to make up for a 1-8 start that included losses in their first six.
Tampa Bay starter Jeff Niemann (0-3) was roughed up for six runs -- five earned -- on six hits and two walks in 4 2/3 frames.
"He's still not back to where we need him to be, but I think he's on the verge," said Rays manager Joe Madden. "He's not far off, in spite of what you may think. Some of the pitches were up, the breaking ball wasn't as sharp as usual. But then again, he made some really good pitches, too."
Pierre laid down a bunt to start off the game and reached all the way to third after a throwing error by third baseman Felipe Lopez during the play. Vizquel's ground out then sent Pierre scurrying home for the game's first run.
Pierre continued to play small ball in the third inning, which saw four White Sox runners cross home. The speedy leadoff hitter sneaked in a bunt single and then stole second before scoring on Omar Vizquel's double off the right field fence.
Quentin was then hit by a pitch and Konerko singled to score Vizquel. Adam Dunn kept the inning going with a single to right to plate Quentin, and two batters later, Pierzynski's sacrifice fly to center sent Konerko home for a 5-0 lead.
The Rays got two on the board in the fourth on Fuld's two-out single that plated Casey Kotchman and John Jaso. But Chicago got a run back on Pierzynski's bloop, RBI single in the fifth for a 6-2 edge.
The White Sox extended the margin in the sixth, 8-2, as Mark Teahen and Pierre both scored on Quentin's double to deep center. Konerko also added an RBI single in the eighth to make up the final score.
The White Sox will continue its long road trip in Detroit on Friday...The Rays finish an eight-game home stand with 6-2 record and will travel to Toronto on Friday...The Rays have joined the 1991 Seattle Mariners as the only teams since 1900 to reach .500 in April after opening the season with six losses...Tampa lost three of four in Chicago earlier in the year...The White Sox were 6-for-17 with runners in scoring position while the Rays left eight runners on base.
- CHICAGO: 9
TAMPA BAY: 2
Apr 21 9:40 PM
- Paul Konerko single to left scored Mark Teahen with two out. Runners on first and second with Adam Dunn due up.
White Sox 9, Rays 2 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 21 9:14 PM
- Carlos Quentin double to right center scored Mark Teahen and Juan Pierre with one out. Runner on second and Paul Konerko due up.
White Sox 8, Rays 2 Top 6, 1 OutApr 21 8:40 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski single to center scored Paul Konerko with two out. Runner on first and Alexei Ramirez due up.
White Sox 6, Rays 2 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 21 8:25 PM
- Sam Fuld single to right scored Casey Kotchman and John Jaso with two out. Runners on first and third with Johnny Damon due up.
White Sox 5, Rays 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 21 8:08 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski sacrifice fly to center scored Paul Konerko with two out. Runners on first and second with Alexei Ramirez due up.
White Sox 5, Rays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 21 7:38 PM
- Adam Dunn single to right scored Carlos Quentin with one out. Runners on first and second with Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 4, Rays 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 21 7:32 PM
- Paul Konerko single to right scored Omar Vizquel with one out. Runners on first and third with Adam Dunn due up.
White Sox 3, Rays 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 21 7:31 PM
- Omar Vizquel doubled to right scored Juan Pierre with one out. Runner on second and Carlos Quentin due up.
White Sox 2, Rays 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 21 7:24 PM
- Omar Vizquel ground out second to first scored Juan Pierre with one out. None on and Carlos Quentin due up.
White Sox 1, Rays 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 21 6:45 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 6:41 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22