Lewis, Rangers shut down White SoxMay 17, 2011 - 5:41 AM
Lewis (4-4) struck out seven and didn't allow a hit until A.J. Pierzynski's one-out single in the fifth inning. He walked just one, pitching his third career complete game and second of the season.
"The White Sox have a lot of talent up and down that lineup, so for Colby to come out in their ballpark and have that kind of effort was big for us," said Rangers designated hitter Michael Young. "His last three or four starts have been fun to watch."
Ian Kinsler hit a two-run single and Endy Chavez had three hits and two runs scored for the Rangers, who have won four of their last five games. Texas smacked 12 hits in the game, getting at least one from eight of its nine batters.
The White Sox, returning home from a 6-3 road trip, were retired in order in four innings.
"We've been swinging the bats pretty good and today we just got shut down," said Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen.
Texas took a 2-0 lead in the third inning, sparked by Chavez's leadoff single and stolen base. He scored on Young's double, and Young came home on a single by Adrian Beltre.
Lewis had retired 10 straight batters before Pierzynski lined a fastball into right field with one down in the fifth.
Still, the lead was precarious until the Rangers tacked on two runs in the sixth inning for their 4-0 lead.
Again, Chavez sparked the rally with a one-out single and moved to second on Elvis Andrus' base hit. Both runners moved up on a wild pitch and scored easily on Kinsler's bloop single into right-center field.
Chicago got its final hit when Alexei Ramirez led off the ninth inning with a ground-rule double. But Lewis got three straight fly ball outs to end the game.
The Rangers were coming off a 4-4 homestand that was shortened to eight games by a postponement. They started a seven-game road trip that includes their first interleague series of the season against the Philadelphia Phillies this weekend...The White Sox started a seven-game homestand that ends with three games against the Los Angeles Dodgers to begin interleague play.
- TEXAS: 4
May 16 10:50 PM
- Ian Kinsler singled to center scored Endy Chavez and Elvis Andrus. Runner on first with one out and Michael Young due up.
Rangers 4, White Sox 0 Top 6, 1 OutMay 16 9:51 PM
- Adrian Beltre singled to left scored Michael Young. Runner on first with two outs and David Murphy due up.
Rangers 2, White Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 16 8:58 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 8:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22