Dodgers get by White Sox in extrasMay 21, 2011 - 6:03 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Juan Castro hit a run-scoring single to ignite a three-run 10th inning and give the Los Angeles Dodgers a 6-4 victory over the Chicago White Sox in the opener of a three-game interleague series.
Russ Mitchell's homer with two outs in the ninth inning tied the game for Los Angeles. Jamey Carroll went 4-for-5 with two runs scored for the Dodgers, who won for just the second time in seven games.
"It's nice to contribute ... This is a big win for us," Mitchell said.
Kenley Jansen (1-0) earned the win with two scoreless innings of relief of starter Ted Lilly. Lilly allowed three runs on seven hits in seven innings. He also struck out five.
Sergio Santos (2-1) took the loss and his first blown save of the season when he allowed four runs in 1 1/3 innings. Philip Humber left after seven innings in which he allowed two runs on five hits and a walk as the White Sox ended a three-game win streak.
"It was a very good game. Unfortunately we lost," White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said.
Carroll led off the 10th with a single and Matt Kemp followed two batters later with a base hit. Juan Castro then singled to bring in Carroll and James Loney doubled to plate Kemp. Dioner Navarro was intentionally walked to load the bases with one out and Santos was pulled from the game.
Will Ohman entered next and allowed a Jay Gibbons single to give the Dodgers a three-run advantage.
Matt Guerrier allowed back-to-back singles to pinch-hitter Omar Vizquel and Juan Pierre to lead off the bottom half of the 10th. Both runners moved up a base on an Alexei Ramirez groundout and Guerrier was replaced by Scott Elbert.
Elbert faced just one batter as he got Adam Dunn to ground out to first while Vizquel crossed the plate. Mike MacDougal came in next to face Paul Konerko and got him to ground out to second to end the game. MacDougal logged his first save of the year.
Kemp hit a two-run home run in the first to give the Dodgers the early lead.
Alex Rios doubled with two outs in the second and was followed by a ground- rule double that bounced over the left field wall by Ramon Castro to score Rios. Gordon Beckham then hit a two-run shot to make the score 3-2.
The Dodgers loaded the bases with one out against reliever Matt Thornton in the eighth. Pinch-hitter Jerry Sands walked, and was followed by a ground-rule double by Carroll. Two batters later Kemp was intentionally walked to load the bases and Thornton was pulled for Jesse Crain.
Crain then struck out Juan Castro and got Loney to hit a weak grounder to short to end the inning and keep Chicago in the lead.
But Santos entered for the ninth and got two quick outs before allowing a game-tying home run to Mitchell. The ball bounced off the left field foul pole.
These teams haven't met since 2009 when the White Sox took two of three at U.S. Cellular Field...The Dodgers earned the victory despite leaving nine men on base...Chicago stranded six...Pierre needs one stolen base to tie Herman Long for 29th all-time with 534.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
May 20 11:28 PM
- Adam Dunn ground out to first scored Omar Vizquel with two out. On the play, Juan Pierre advances to third. Runner on third and Paul Konerko due up.
Dodgers 6, White Sox 4 Bot 10, 2 OutsMay 20 11:25 PM
- Jay Gibbons single to right scored Juan Castro with one out. On the play, Dioner Navarro advances to second and James Loney advances to third. Bases loaded and Russ Mitchell due up.
Dodgers 6, White Sox 3 Top 10, 1 OutMay 20 11:08 PM
- James Loney double to right scored Matt Kemp with one out. On the play, Juan Castro advances to third. Runners on second and third and Dioner Navarro due up.
Dodgers 5, White Sox 3 Top 10, 1 OutMay 20 11:03 PM
- Juan Castro single to right scored Jamey Carroll with one out. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to third. Runners on first and third and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 4, White Sox 3 Top 10, 1 OutMay 20 10:59 PM
- Russ Mitchell two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Jerry Sands due up.
Dodgers 3, White Sox 3 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 20 10:40 PM
- Juan Pierre singled to left. On the play, Brent Morel advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Alexei Ramirez due up.
Dodgers 2, White Sox 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 20 8:47 PM
- Ramon Castro ground rule double to left scored Alex Rios with two out. Runner on second and Gordon Beckham due up.
Dodgers 2, White Sox 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 20 8:43 PM
- Matt Kemp two-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Jamey Carroll. Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 2, White Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 20 8:16 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 20 8:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22