White Sox thump DodgersMay 21, 2011 - 11:47 PM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Mark Buehrle hurled seven strong innings and Paul Konerko added three hits and three RBI to lift Chicago over Los Angeles, 9-2, in the second of a three-game series.
Buehrle (4-3) allowed seven hits and no walks with one strike out in the White Sox's seventh win in 10 games.
With Buehrle's win, he now has the most victories in interleague history with 24. He is now 24-6 in 38 career interleague appearances -- 37 starts.
Jon Garland (1-4) took the loss when he lasted just 3 2/3 innings, allowing seven runs on 11 hits. He walked one and struck out two to hand the Dodgers their sixth defeat in eight games.
"If you don't make your pitches you're going to get in trouble, and it showed tonight," said Garland of his performance.
Alexei Ramirez hit a one-out double in the first and was knocked in by a Konerko single two batters later to give Chicago an early advantage.
The Dodgers put men on second and third with one out in the third without having a ball pass the pitcher's mound. Jamey Carroll singled on a dribbler to the left of the mound, Juan Castro reached first on a bunt, and Andre Ethier grounded out to Buehrle to move the runners up. Matt Kemp then grounded out to short to score Carroll and tie the game at one.
Then Chicago broke the game open with a six-run fourth inning.
Alex Rios hit a two-run home run with one out and the White Sox followed by loading the bases when Omar Vizquel doubled, Brent Lillibridge was hit by a pitch and Gordon Beckham singled. After a Juan Pierre line out to first, Alexei Ramirez singled to score Vizquel and Lillibridge. Adam Dunn then walked to load the bases a second time and force Garland off the mound.
Ramon Troncoso took over and was greeted by a Konerko single up the middle that plated Beckham and Ramirez.
"We feel good. We feel like we're trending upwards and we feel like guys are having good at-bats, taking good swings and getting hits, big hits...We just got off to little bit of a slow start," said Chicago's catcher A.J. Pierzynski about their offense.
Jerry Sands hit his first major league homer in the sixth to account for the Dodgers second run.
Lillibridge added a two-run shot in the seventh to make the score 9-2.
Buehrle was tied with Jamie Moyer for most interleague wins before Saturday's contest...James Loney extended his hit streak to seven games...Los Angeles went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base...Buehrle threw 64 of his 97 pitches for strikes.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
May 21 4:43 PM
- Brent Lillibridge two-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored A.J. Pierzynski. Gordon Beckham due up.
Dodgers 2, White Sox 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 21 4:13 PM
- James Loney flied out to center to end the inning.
Dodgers 2, White Sox 7 Mid 6May 21 3:49 PM
- Paul Konerko singled to center scoring Gordon Beckham and Alexei Ramirez with two out. On the play, Adam Dunn advances to second. Runners on first and second and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Dodgers 1, White Sox 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 21 3:31 PM
- Alexei Ramirez singled to left scoring Omar Vizquel and Brent Lillibridge with two out. On the play, Gordon Beckham advances to second. Runners on first and second and Adam Dunn due up.
Dodgers 1, White Sox 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 21 3:24 PM
- Omar Vizquel doubled to right. Runner on second with one out and Brent Lillibridge due up.
Dodgers 1, White Sox 3 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 21 3:18 PM
- Matt Kemp grounded out short to first scoring Jamey Carroll with two out. Runner on second and Rod Barajas due up.
Dodgers 1, White Sox 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 21 2:50 PM
- Paul Konerko singled to center scoring Alexei Ramirez with two out. Runner on first and Carlos Quentin due up.
Dodgers 0, White Sox 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 21 2:28 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 21 2:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22